EA Hoya

susancarol(7)June 8, 2014

I noticed there is a similar hoya clone to Krimson Princess. It has medium green leaves with a few variegated leaves that are similar to KP but more waxy and thicker. It's an EA plant and I passed it up yesterday but thinking about going back to get it. :)

EA does label KP as KP and this one is labeled Hoya variegated.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentoe357

Could it just be KP? ('Rubra' is the current name) Hoya leaves are very variable, you know... This one may just be a particularly clean one. :-)

EA has the word "variegata" on their Rubra and Tricolor labels: https://www.exoticangel.com/plant-library/species/hoya.

Post a pic here if you are going back and if doubt still remains.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:51AM
susancarol(7)

I went back and decided not to get it. Instead I'm going to try Denise's method with removing the solid green leaves from the KP to root and make a pot. Maybe Denise will post her plant picture here.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:26PM
denise_gw(5)

Hi Susan,

Yes, unfortunately, all the 'Princess' clones I have seen want to revert back. 'Queen' doesn't - I've always wondered why one does and the other doesn't. Of course, maybe it's because 'Queen' has more green, less cream, whereas 'Princess' is more cream...

As for the thickness of the leaves, I think that's more about how it's being grown. I have a 'Princess' right now that has had fairly thin leaves and it's an EA plant, but I think it's gotten too dry (from that awful EA soil) a few times, and that thins up the leaves. It's recovering and leaves are feeling more plump now. But clones vary some, too...

I finally gave away my old 'Princess' when it got to the point that all new growth was green. I have to admit, though, that the green growth I take off of 'Princess' is a truly beautiful clone of old fashioned carnosa. I assume that is what you'd call it, anyway. Since 'Princess' is a sport of carnosa, when it reverts back, it would now be just carnosa again, right? But the leaves are longer, with a creased midrib (I don't know how else to describe it...

I'm sure there are technical terms for it!) - it's very attractive AND it blooms much, MUCH faster than the standard carnosa or the 'Princess' it comes from! Makes an awesome plant!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:14PM
greedygh0st

Yeah⦠I would label the reverted KP 'carnosa,' too. Although CB has this note to offer: âÂÂGreen Exoticaâ (When cv. Rubra reverted, the owner of LoyceâÂÂs Flowers cut the green parts out; rooted them and sold them as cv. Green Exotica). Source: The Hoyan 5,4

I had no idea it was so amenable. I always throw my trimmings away. I don't really have room for the carnosas I already have, without starting new ones. ;)

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
photo posting
Can anyone tell me how to post photos on this forum?...
shelley7950
H. carnosa
I got these as cuttings from my father's plants, he...
tropicbreezent
Will a hoya cutting grow without the "tip"
Hi just recently acquired some hoya cuttings.. a lacunosa...
bkempress
Suffering Hindu Rope
I have a little hoya (about 8" long) that's been...
ccj962
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Sponsored Products
5 Piece White Flowers Canvas Wall Art Set - 15W x 47H in. ea. - PN01489-5INT
$234.91 | Hayneedle
Glasgow Industrial Metal 8 1/2" Wide Bronze Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Ravella 6-Piece Dining Nook Set - WIT060
$869.98 | Hayneedle
Green Leaf Quad Canvas Wall Art - Set of 4 - 18W x 18H in.ea. - 40-403
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Harmony Corner Audio TV Stand - Delmont Cherry - ER-BLC- EA58-D
$599.00 | Hayneedle