pressure canner for induction cooktop?

ilovepoco(z5 Boston USA)September 7, 2011

We just finished a kitchen renovation and replaced our gas range with an induction cooktop. Love the speed, control, and easy cleaning, and we were pleased to find that about 95% of our existing pots and pans work with the new unit.

Unfortunately, my Mirro pressure canner is one of the 5% that didn't make the cut. Can anyone recommend a pressure canner that works on an induction cooktop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Honestly don't think there is one. Macy posts here and has induction I think but had to create an alternative canning kitchen. From what I have read on other canning forums, so did everyone else - find an alternate heat source for canning that is.

Really only 3 brands of PC - Presto, All American, and Mirro so going to their respective websites or calling them will tell you if using them on induction is even possible.

Dave

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 1:00PM
cjzimmer

Macy posted one for me a while back. it's a smaller one so you can only do 4 quarts at a time. I don't own it yet due to lack of funding but it's on my wish list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Pressure Canner

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 11:40PM
ilovepoco(z5 Boston USA)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the Fagor. I have a 2-burner propane camp stove for power outages which I was trying to avoid for canning because when you use the high-power burner it sounds like there's a jet plane readying for takeoff in the backyard :o)

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 10:01AM
macybaby

I bought the Fagor, and tried it out for the first time last weekend. I peeled too many potatoes and after filling both canners with quarts, I still had enough left over for 4 more quarts, so after they were done, I brought them in and used the Fagor. It worked just fine. The main drawback is that it holds at 8lbs and 15lbs, so for canning you have to do everything at 15lbs.

When you turn the knob to "open" it vents like normal, then you turn it to the 2nd position, and when it reaches pressure, it gave a "pop" sound and started releasing pressure. I turned the heat down so it kept a gentle steady stream (per instructions) and it was real easy to control on the induction. It also has a little pop-up indicator for when the pressure is down to zero, so no guessing there.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 2:14PM
mccall

I also second the Fagor though it only holds four quart jars or four wide mouth pints at a time. I bought a cooks brand induction unit which is great by the way from JC penny and it works fine on that it also works fine on a glass cooktop stove. it is stainless steel. I think it is currently on sale at O.co

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Sponsored Products
Comfort Dreams Ultra Soft 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Overstock.com
Shade Vanity Light by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$184.00 | Lumens
RAB 250W High Pressure Sodium AL Wall Mount Area Light, 277V
LBC Lighting
IL116G 4 Watt Narrow Flood LED Inground Uplight w Rock Guard
Lightology
Chrome 3 Piece Rain Head Shower Set
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets