Bulbs planted, now for the mulching.

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)November 7, 2011

I had been working on planting my tulip and Daffodil bulbs that came earlier and finially got them finished today. Not that many really. Only 225 Daffs and 85 tulips this year. Not like the crazy numbers I had to plant last fall!

So now on to the mulching for winter with fall leaves that I like to get done if at all possible. I usually take leaves in the fall now and then pack them in around my daylilies in the daylily beds. If I do that now and really thick for the fall, it lasts the entire summer and I don't have to do as much in the spring. If I don't mulch them now then I do have to go out in the spring and mulch. That means buy straw as there are no leaves to be had in the spring. So I really do like to use the fall leaves as the price is right as they are free and I have to buy the hay. And the daylilies love their snuggley winter mulch if it is fall leaves or hay but the fall leaves mean fall less weeds get started in the spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I just finished planting my daffs, & have been mulching with the pine needles that I've raked up. I was just raking up a couple of cartfuls a day & mulching, but today DH helped & I got a lot moved. I raked up a lot & he moved them on the large cart. My shoulders are aching, but I sure hope I don't have to weed as much next year.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:13PM
shive(6b TN)

That sounds like a LOT of bulbs to me, Rita. Somehow I've got to find time to plant a measly 15 tulip bulbs in the next week or so. I've started mulching, but need to do a lot more weeding before I can put the rest down. We've lost so many trees in my neighborhood from drought and storms that leaves are hard to come by this fall. I'm using pine straw.

Debra

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:19PM
organic_kitten(8)

Good for you, Rita. The other other hundred bulbs from Scheepers were planted today, and I put wire down where they had stolen the last bulbs. You are ahead of me if all you have to do is mulching. I still have some weeding and other work to do before I will be ready to put everything bye for the winter..A few more beautiful days like today would surely help. The temps were gorgeous!

kay

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 7:09PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Debra, it doesn't seem like much to me as last year I planted litterally thousands of bulbs. That sure was a BIG job! Just couldn't face getting that many this year as I just didn't want to plant many this fall.

Nancy, the pine needles sound like they are working great. Sometimes I can find afew bags of pine needles but not enough to do much around here.

Kay, always some weeding to do before putting down much but really not much. Just basicly time to pile on the fall leaves in this daylily beds.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:04PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

I noticed this spring, i didn't have any daffs no where,except maybe less then six in the front yard.I may looks inwalmart and see if they have some little bags of bulbs, thats cheap. and plant some where. Deer wont eat them,so I be safe to plant some out in the side yard or back yard.....

jean

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Fertilizing daylily seedlings
My sprouts are about 2 weeks old and getting to be...
nancykvb
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
in case anyone is interested
here is the link to Daylily Mecca info , in case anyone...
signet_gw
Daylily Order.
I finally got to place an order for some new DLs. They...
Billi
May have cooked my seeds?
After a number of seasons of trying to find a warm...
del_s
Sponsored Products
52" Minka Aire Indoor Outdoor Gauguin Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
ORE International Lamps 14.25 in. Floral Gold Touch Lamp K313
$30.08 | Home Depot
Elk Lighting Mayfield 17142/3-LED 3 Light Pendant in Brushed Nickel
Beyond Stores
Frosted Glass Bands 4 1/2" High Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Slanted Bulb Table Lamp in Brown
$229.99 | Dot & Bo