Shelf life of home canned goods

ilene_poconos(6)September 29, 2007

We find that we still have some canned tomatoes and pickles left from 2004 and 2005. I started to toss them out and decided to ask the forum what your opinions are on the shelf life of home canned goods.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Any product that was properly canned using safe-tested recipes (i.e. Ball, Bernardin, NCHFP) and appropriately stored continues to be safe almost indefinitely.

So the only real issue is loss of quality. Pickles, for instance, soften over time.

As long as the product tastes good and the texture is pleasing to you, consume in comfort.

Carol

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 2:15PM
shirleywny5(5)

Carol, I agree with all you said.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 2:38PM
ilene_poconos(6)

We did use Ball recipes so I'm sure we're ok. We always used everything rather quickly except for the last two years. As my children have grown up and moved out, we suddenly found ourselves with more left over each year. Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 2:49PM
msafirstein(Northern Illinois/Z5)

WOW....I thought home canned goods were only safe 1 year and should be disposed of after expiration.

Michelle

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 6:10PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

My moms green tomato picililli was well past 25 years old and still had flavor, although it was very mushy.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 7:30PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

No, if it's safe when it's processed, barring seal failure (due to factors like storing in the garage with significant temperature fluctuations) it stays safe.

Canned goods from the Civil War have been tested and still don't have significant bacterial loads. In other words, they could be consumed (though they aren't very appealing).

A lot of canners preserve on a two-year rather than a one-year cycle because it's more efficient, and that's fine.

Carol

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 7:37PM
belindach(9A)

Are home canned goods safer than store bought assuming home is done correctly? Does home last longer because that is what it sounds like?

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 9:54AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Most commecially canned items are in metal cans. These do break down and can rust or have leakage issues after a few years. The safety comes from the method and required ingredients used for todays home canning. Without following most of these guidelines, you could risk safety, but because the home canning seems to go the extra measure, its fairly safe and stable, provided you have done things the right way.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 10:56AM
virginia_dickman_yahoo_com

Thanks for all the great info on here! VERY helpful information and exactly what I was looking for!

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™