Surinam-Cherry

fluffybonbon(9)October 8, 2011

I love this shrub , does any one plant this ?

I would like to trade , please let me know .

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluesky7

I used to eat real ripe Surinam cherries when I was a kid. Not as fond of them now, maybe 'cause it's hard to find them now.

They do make a nice hedge, but I hear you have to really keep a check on them or they can get out of hand like ficus does.

Think I read somewhere that they're considered an 'invasive' species. So what else is new, eh?

Happy Gardening,

Sheri

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 2:24PM
dirtygardener73(9a)

If I was still at my old house, I could give you tons of seeds. I had a large one. They are so easy to grow. I'm sure someone here will have seeds or seedlings sometime. This isn't a good time of year for the seeds, but seedlings may be coming up.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 5:19PM
alexcortez(10b)

Remind me when it is the season and I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE. I just cannot remember when they fruit/Spring I think. It is however considered an invasive species in South Florida and disrecommended in Central Fl. (see info in link). I think it would be ok in the Northern part pf the state. I am personally waiting for my new hedge to get established before I cut my lone remaining tree down. Unfortunately my neighbor has it as a hedge so I will likely have further trees in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surinam Cherry is Invasive in South Florida

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 1:36AM
ibarbidahl(9 (tampa-ish))

I have one, too. But like the PP - I can't share at the moment. Wait until there are seeds around. I'll send some your way!
If you hit the Rare fruit tree sales you can get a small one for less than $10. Otherwise smaller nurseries in the area have them here and there.
Barbie

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
No fruit on avocado
I have a 5-yr old avocado tree that has never had any...
thomas12
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™