freezing habanero peppers ??

sooey(7MA)September 16, 2008

Hi Kids,

I just did a search of this forum looking for a quick answer to my 'can I freeze habanero peppers'. I found the answere is yes, I can freeze them. Now my question is, do I need to prepare them first? Is it best to cut or dice them first? Should I leave them whole? Half and seed them? Plastic bag or jar?

Thanks, Kids. I appreciate any advice you can give.

sooey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ristau5741(6)

from my past experience, Habaneros sometimes have internal rot, while looking fine on the outside, black on the inside, I've cut mine in half, to check, bag and freeze, use rubber gloves though, not latex.

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 2:30PM
sooey(7MA)

Thank you, ristau5741 ! Cut in half and wear protection...! Sounds like good advice.

sooey

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 3:33PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Halve or chop whichever you wish, but not whole for reasons already stated. We lay halves and quarters in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze and then put them into the freezer bags.

Dave

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 3:43PM
sooey(7MA)

Thank you, Dave. Good to know.

sooey

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 4:02PM
ottawapepper

Hi sooey,

Yes, I've been freezing mine for years now. In addition to the fine advice so far, you have the best results if you vacuume seel (like in a Food Saver system). If you don't have a vacuume seeler, double bag them in freezer bags... they'll keep longer.

Bill

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 4:59PM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

Yes, as others have suggested, it works fine to freeze them chopped or in halves or other pieces (in which case you can chop them when you defrost them if you like; they will be soft but the flavour will be well preserved).

But I wouldn't freeze in jars---plastic bags (with extra air squished out) or heavy-duty plastic wrap is what you want. Most things preserve their flavour and avoid freezer burn best if not surrounded by air.

(Though Dave's trick of freezing them unwrapped briefly first is a clever one & I've used it for berries---that way they are hard and don't mush into a clump when you pack several into a bag, so you can easily remove however much or little you want.)

good luck!

Zabby,
also having a good harvest of habs this year & planning to freeze most

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 8:42PM
sooey(7MA)

This is all great advice, thank you very much. We have been harvesting them for a while now and have way too many of them in the frig. Tomorrow I will set to work. I'll cut them in half and freeze them frist on a cookie sheet, just like blueberries. When they are frozen I will double bag them in a zip type bag. Easy as pie. Thanks all!

sooey

sooey

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Canning lard
After much research I read that pure, rendered lard...
lana_lang
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™