Advice on Pachyclada

teisa(6)June 25, 2012

I have a 1.5 yr old Pachyclada that I recently posted a picture of ready to bloom. Well it only opened about 1/2 way and then umbel started to die. I figured this typical for my first bloom on it. Any advice on getting the full blooms? I think I had read plenty of watering during blooming time, is this correct?

Also I wondered if it will reboom from the same place? Like the carnosas that you should never pull off after it blooms? Ive been thinking about writing this question for a couple days when today I noticed another thicker start growing out from where it just bloomed. Is this normal? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Ok I'm really gonna need help posting this picture...I can't get the new function to let me click on it. Am I supposed to click where it says " image file to upload (optional): choose file"? Because I cannot click there.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 7:19PM
greedygh0st

Hey Teisa. I'm not sure what is causing your problems. For me, I press on the button "choose file" as highlighted in this picture. Then, there is a small delay as it uploads, and afterward the file name shows up to the right of the button (e.g. "UploadFile.jpg")

Yes, the pachyclada will bloom again from the same peduncle, like carnosa, so you should not interfere with it. Even the rare Hoyas that drop their peduncles (e.g. javanica) do so only after blooming multiple times from them. You can tell when a peduncle's life is done because it turns yellow like a dying leaf. I guess you could nip it off at that point, but there is really never a need to prune peduncles.

Some people report buds blasting because they forgot to water and others say they've had Hoyas drop their buds because they get watered too much. My advice is just to try and maintain the status quo. It is pretty typical to lose the first batch of buds, so don't overthink it.

What do you mean by "another thicker start growing out from where it just bloomed." Do you mean that new buds are forming on the peduncle?

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 3:37PM
greedygh0st

Annnnd apparently if you preview your post, change something and then hit submit, the picture disappears! So, if you edit your post, you need to re-upload the file.

Do as I say, not as I do! ;)

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 3:39PM
teisa(6)

Thanks for the help Greedy Ghost! After looking through past pictures I believe it was growing a seed pod. I looked at the post by Sue. After my pachy bloomed it is growing a new stem from the where it last bloomed. When I saw her post I realized what I have!!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:42PM
greedygh0st

I thought that might be it. Congratulations, let us know how it goes. :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Hoya Cummingiana 'Little Leaf Bush Hoya'
First of my houseplant hoyas to bloom. It is in the...
bouldergrower
photo posting
Can anyone tell me how to post photos on this forum?...
shelley7950
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
Sponsored Products
Sunset Trading Parkwood Dining Chair - Sage - CR-45537-15
$199.00 | Hayneedle
Max 5 Drawer Wide Chest - MXTX130
$730.00 | Hayneedle
'Be Brave' Bear Box Sign
$7.49 | zulily
Coral Coast Classic 14 x 16 in. Outdoor Toss Pillow - Set of 2 - M003-1-AFS029-S
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Draping Leaf Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Tobacco Panel Bed - KBF232
$316.67 | Hayneedle
'Be True to Who You Are' Personalized Decal
$17.99 | zulily
'Trust in the Lord' Horses Framed Wall Art
$28.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™