Tomatoes still be good for canning ?

bebetSeptember 17, 2012

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I had frozen tomatoes to can. I took the out yesterday to thaw and planned on canning them today. Well we had a family emergency with my mom and I will not have tome today as I need to head back to the hospital. Do you think these will last until tomorrow. I hate to toss them. But obviously my Mother comes first. They have been in the fridge since taking them out of the freezer. So some are still even a little frozen. I just want to be sure. Thank you for any help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They are fine to use within that 24 hour period. Otherwise I'd put them back into the freezer.

Dave

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 2:34PM
PlantsAndYarn(5)

Wow, didn't know you could can them after freezing. Is there anything special you have to do in order to can tomatoes after they have been frozen?

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 5:05PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Very common practice. Many here do it regularly either to save up enough to make digging out all the canning equipment worthwhile or to save the tomatoes so they can do their canning in the fall when it is cooler. When thawed the skins slip right off. Personally I cut out the cores before canning - easier that way - but it isn't required.

Nothing special required. Many posts here about it.

Dave

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™