Can I use a BWB that has rust spots?

alitnSeptember 9, 2010

My MIL gave me an old BWB. When I opened it, I found a lot of rust around the top (where the top of the water would be) as well as some rusty spots on the inside bottom where the enamel has chipped off. One spot looks thin, but does not appear to have sprung a leak. It is safe to use this pot? I have only canned a few times and I borrowed my grandmother's pot in the past. Also, the racks on both the pot my MIL got as well as my grandmother's pot are corroded, but still appear useful.

I can sterilize my jars in the dishwasher, correct? If that's the case, no water from the pot should enter the jars.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

I sterilize my jars in in the dishwasher. I have two canning pots for BWB and they both have a little rust. I still use them. So I hope the experts chime in and say that's ok!

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 3:55PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Dishwashers don't sterilize, they just sanitize. Boiling the jars for 10 mins. will sterilize but you don't need sterilized jars for anything that will be processed for 10 mins. or longer. That leaves very few recipes that require sterile jars.

In most cases the rust, at least most of it can be removed by scrubbing/scouring. A few small rust spots is one thing but personally I wouldn't use a pot that was very rusty as under certain circumstances water from the pots may be vacuumed back into the jars of food. It is your choice.

Dave

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 4:01PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I wouldn't have a safety concern per se (I mean in terms of safety of jar contents.) but I might have a functional one. If there's a spot on the side or bottom that's quite thin and it gives under the weight of the jars and water, then you will be dealing with a scalding and, pardon me, unholy mess in your kitchen.

Superficial rust would not be a bother. Those kettles and especially the racks rust very easily.

Carol

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
storing leeks
This has been our second year vegetable gardening....
marricgardens
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
Sponsored Products
Monarch Specialties I 1492 Cappuccino Ash Veneer 40 Inch X 60 Inch X 78 Inch Din
Beyond Stores
Fabbian | Ray Floor Lamp
YLighting
Area Rug: Contempo Light Multi 7' 8" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
Unfinished Bisque Zig Zag Handcut Wall Sconce
$160.20 | Bellacor
Beautyrest Recharge 'Maddyn' Luxury Firm King-size Mattress Set
Overstock.com
Dimond D1852 Filigree 2-Light Table Lamp - D1852
$250.00 | Hayneedle
Rustic natural linen placemats (set/4)