Very Ripe Clapp's Pears -- what to do?

kathy_in_washington(Zone 8 Sequim,WA)September 23, 2009

OK, I shouldn't have done this, because "out of sight, out of mind" happened. We picked all the beautiful red Clapp's Pears on our tree, and set them carefully on a shelf in our fairly cool canning pantry ... and forgot about them.

Now they're very ripe, and the interior flesh has some browning discoloration.

I'd hate to lose their value as an edible fruit, so can I make:

Pear Honey;

Applesauce with pears;

Apple butter with pears;

Use the Steam Juicer to make juice; or

Bake items with the pears and freeze for later?

I hope someone has some good ideas. We have 50 beautiful large red fruits just waiting to come to some good use!

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Kathy, as long as your pears aren't spoiled, starting to rot, or taste bad, I don't see why they couldn't be used in pear butter, in sauce or as juice. They might not be as good in something like pear crisp or cobbler, and they're probably much too ripe to use in something like preserves.

Hurry, make SOMETHING with them, I'm leaning toward pear butter!

Annie

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 3:24PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I'd vote for the applesauce with pears aka pearsauce ;) - first thing I though of when I read your post title - GREAT stuff!! And leave it a bit chunkier than you would applesauce.

Wife also makes pearsauce-raisin muffins - freeze well and especially good for breakfast or snacks.

Pearsauce-Raisin Muffins

1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. pearsauce
1 c. raisins (we prefer yellow/white ones)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pans. Mix all ingredients, except raisins, until well blended. Stir in raisins. Fill muffin tins. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Dave

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 3:30PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Kathy, You could always just core, chop and freeze for now while you decide. Have you tasted to make sure they still taste "right"? Otherwise, any recipe isn't going to come out very well. :-(

C&Ping that recipe Dave! Thanks!

I have Vanilla Pearsauce that I made last year from some overripe Bosc pears and vanilla beans. The flavor is a bit strong for me for straight eating, but I'm bettin' it'll be awesome in these muffins!

Deanna

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 5:01PM
dogear6(7 / Richmond VA)

I would also suggest the brandied apple and candied apple recipes from the Ball Book. Adjust the recipe by not cooking as long since the pears are already so ripe.

I had the opposite problem - rock hard pears. I cooked them longer to compensate and they canned up beautifully.

I also attached a link for an applesauce recipe that can disguise imperfections in the fruit. Since your pears are so very ripe, you might want to cut the sugar back until you taste them. I would not peel the pears before hand. Cook until soft enough to put through a food mill, then add the rest of the ingredients and finish cooking.

I freeze this recipe, although it should can up just fine in a BWB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chunky Spiced Applesauce

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™