Bell Pepper Plant Leaves Shriveling...Why?

tamrootbeer(Z9CocoaCentFl)October 5, 2008

My Bell Peppers (most, not all)...the leaves begin to get shrivelly...near the top of the plants mostly. They are beautiful green color (even the ugly leaves) and are getting flowers. I have had this happen in the past and the plants have produced peppers, but they sure are ugly. Plants are about 12-18 inches tall.

So...what is it that may be making my pepper plant leaves curl and shrivel...

I am not having this issue with my other peppers (bird, fish, jalapeno, etc).

Tam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watermelon7(9 - 10)

Have you been using insecticides or fungicides? If you have been, that may be too harsh on your plant. Did you have pest problems with them? If you haven't been using insecticides, and you have this problem, try making a non-toxic insecticide.

To make a non-toxic insecticide, shave 1 inch of Fels-Naptha laundry soap into 1 quart of heated water and stir until dissolved. This will be your insecticidal soap concentrate. Put the soap solution into a labeled jar.

To use the soap spray, put 1 teaspoon of concentrate per quart into a sprayer. This insecticidal soap is a contact poison, so spray it directly onto the insects you want to eliminate from your home, garden or orchard. For additional killing power, add one-quarter cup of rubbing alcohol per quart.

Fels-Naptha can be found at most grocery stores.

Or, you may need to make/buy a fungicide. Search up "Homemade Non-Toxic Fungicide" on Google.com, and see what you get.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 12:54PM
tamrootbeer(Z9CocoaCentFl)

No bugs at all that I can see. I fertilize with GardenTone....all natural. I will try the Fels Naptha soap.

Love Fels!!!! We use it for lots of stuff...it can take out just about any stain in the laundry. When the kids have moved into their own place, one thing we have gotten them for their new place is a bar of Fels!

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 1:00PM
chrisd_fl(z9)

Thrips can cause leaves to deform and crinkle. They are very small and difficult to see. If thrips are your problem, you should be able to locate them on the undersides of leaves with a magnifying glass.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 2:05PM
linchat(10b)

I am in South Florida, my problem is leaf drop. I have 6 different plants spread about the yard (planted mid sept) and they are dropping leaves like crazy. Over the last 2 weeks, we must of had 5-8 inches of rain AT LEAST. Most rain I have seen in a long time. So, I am crossing my fingers hoping the rain is my problem?!.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 2:36PM
watermelon7(9 - 10)

Make sure you are not fertilizing the plants too much, tamrootbeer. If you are, the leaves will turn brown, and the whole plant could possible die. To reverse the effects, simply over water the plants to drain out the excess nitrogen.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 3:23PM
treefrog_fl(z10 FL)

Yes, constantly wet soil will cause a lot of leaf drop.
Got it going on here now too.
Wet might be the cause of the tiny shriveled new leaf growth too, not sure. Also got it. Hope it's not a virus.
Lots of rain and cloudy days lately.
I'm finding lots of ants colonizing the pots my peppers are growing in. Ughh.
No good answers here. Sorry.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 10:56PM
naomilovesflipflops(9b FL)

Hi Tam,

I agree with Chris- from your description it sounds like you surely have thrips. I pulled all of my bell peppers last month even as they started to reflower b/c they started to show signs of thrip damage- new tender leaves (i.e. most yummy ones LOL) show deformity and curling and sometimes slight discoloring/darkening. Some species of thrips like the chili/chilean are extremely small and light colored, making them very difficult to see. Look closely and I bet you find your culprit.

HTH

Naomi

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 6:20AM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Hi Tam,

Sorry I didn't catch this post earlier. My bet is that you have THRIPS! Look at the picture in this link. If so, look at the Alternative Pesticides section of this link. If you really want to save your plants then your best bet is to use sinosad, another Southern Ag product distributed in an 8oz bottle under this brand name.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Southern Ag, I'm just a home gardener that's really grateful they have a distribution facility in Florida and a lot of great products!

Tom

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 8:56AM
happy_fl_gardener

Tom---I would like to try spinosad on my vegetables (when needed) but I have no idea where to look to buy it. Your link said that the brand name is Conserve. Big box stores don't seem to carry much of a selection anymore.

Christine

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 5:55PM
corrie22

:-)

Great place to get garden stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naturalyte - Conserve

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 7:01PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Christine,

I got mine a Jene's Tropicals in St. Pete. I think it was about $12...shipping would push the price up so you'll find a reasonable price if you can find it locally and avoid shipping...has to be available at some local nursery in your area.... I'd email Southern Ag for the closest distributor for your area.

Tom

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
Plant ID for North-Central Florida
Sorry for the bad pic. The camera lens fogged up a...
xentar_gw
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Sponsored Products
Starburst Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$1,350.00 | Lumens
Red Carpet Studios Wrought Iron Chimes - 10802
$31.80 | Hayneedle
Uttermost Elske Stone Planter
Beyond Stores
AGUO Watering Can by Blomus
$80.99 | Lumens
Daisy Spinner Stake
$22.99 | zulily