H. lacunosa 'Royal Flush'

wrynsmom(5)June 18, 2010

Okay, decided to hit the OTHER Lowe's (4 in a 15 mile radius) . . . and found 'ROYAL FLUSH'! And I grabbed it. I just couldn't help myself.

:)

Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Carolyn, too funny...Mike and David were just saying on another thread how hoyas can be like a drug...I would say you're totally addicted and "you're hooked" big time,lol...Congrats on your great find!

Are you running out of room yet...or is that not an issue? You must have great Hoya Karma, you find all the good ones :o)
Enjoy!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 7:33PM
denise_gw(5)

Carolyn,

I was at our Lowe's closest to work yesterday and saw 3 or 4 lacunosas, hoping one would be 'RS' - no such luck! Maybe I'll have to make the rounds to the others and see what I can find!!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 7:34PM
moonwolf_gw

Congrats Carolyn!

Lowe's and Home Depot are about half an hour/45 minutes away from me but I don't go there all that often. I, for one, am a "poor unfortunate soul" when it comes to hoyas and other flowering plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 8:07PM
tigerdawn(7)

That's great! My Royal Flush started blooming yesterday!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 9:06PM
dmichael619(8a)

Sadly, i'm still looking for one. All we seem to be getting here on the East coast is DS-70 and plenty of it!!!

I did find a single lacunosa at Lowe's last week but not RF.EA seems to be spreading that one far and wide!!!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 9:59PM
kellyknits(6/WV Eastern Panhandle)

There is one at a Lowe's near where I work....however, last I saw it, the pot was REALLY heavy, so I'm wondering if it's overwatered. I love my speckled one so much that I'm not really interested in this one.
If anyone is interested I can check again on Monday- just send me an email in case I don't check the forum....feel like I was suppose to be watching for this one for several people and now I can't remember who....

Kelly

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 10:40PM
dalette

I WENT TO MY HOME DEPOT AND THEY HAD NEVER HEARD OF A HOYA PLANT.....LOL

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:58PM
wrynsmom(5)

dalette, none of the box stores in my area know ANYTHING about plants . . . and they know even less about hoyas. Last year, I walked up to the MANAGER of the garden area and asked if he had any hoyas. He told me they never carried hoyas. I walked to the houseplants and found four different species. go figure!

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:06AM
dalette

Lol so typical...happens to me on things all the time..nice to know its not just me...

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:10AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

It's that they don't know what Hoyas are.

I stopped at my local HD last night & found a large, full pot of Curtisii, & some small, no ID KQ types & 2 Balfour Aralias (another favorite of mine).

I know some of the staff there, some of whom had told me the store requires them to water twice a day, while even their workers know that's too much. Well last night, they told me they're now forced to water 3 times a day!!!

My plants were literally soaking wet. I took them home & unpotted & have them blotting on newspaper.

Haven't yet seen Royal Flush, I'll scoop it up when I do!

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 8:31AM
denise_gw(5)

Isn't it awful, Karen? I understand that when it's very hot, they need to keep the outside plants watered because of the heat and the very light mix they're in. But the EA plants, which they keep indoors (at least here) have a mix that holds the water AND they're not out in the heat. I think someone came down with that imperitive for OUTSIDE plants, but in the translation, they took it to mean ALL plants. If I worked there, I'd be raising heck with someone! Like, "Hm, maybe there's a reason plants die fast in our care?! Maybe we should be trying to figure out what that reason is??"

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 9:10AM
AndrewH(z8 Vanc. WA)

Well that would certainly explain why the plants at Home Depot always look so horrible.

I got a lacunosa 'Royal Flush' last month from Lowes; surprisingly it was on the half-price rack, though it was in perfect condition.

All they had today were a couple carnosas and something mislabeled as lacunosa.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 10:36PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Beyond words Denise, I couldn't believe it when they said THREE times a day.

Yet, the plants all look really good at this HD, tho' I mostly go on a Friday & suspect I could be looking at newly arrived plants. I believe they get new stock 2-3 times a week, maybe including Fridays, who knows?

I DO feel a bit like I should open an office there or get free plants in exchange for all the counsel I give fellow shoppers for plants, especially the newbies. I dissuaded 2 people from buying Glufers (Jeff would be proud), explaining to them that the flowers were fake & glued on, they looked astounded!

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 11:26AM
maidinmontana(Zone 5 Billings MT)

Hey Carolyn,

I went to our Lowes yesterday to get some paint and as always have to walk thru the plant section. They had a few linears and a RF lucanosa. you probably know how the story ends. . .lol :) I'll post pics so we can compare. . .

Maid~

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:34AM
wrynsmom(5)

Very nice! My picture won't look as good as yours, I'm sure. I've already chopped mine up quite a bit . . .

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Hoya ID Needed
I just bought this beautiful plant at a local garden...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Care instructions for ...
Can someone give me water/light/heat instructions for...
Diana_Gale
davidcummingii seedlings
I have too many davidcummingii x ? seedlings to keep,...
rennfl
Hoya Kerrii Turning Yellow
Hi everyone I am a newbie to gardening and have bought...
hsaloot
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Sponsored Products
Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Valve & Diverter 3 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Pro-Series 3000 Lbs Capacity Drywall Cart
Beyond Stores
Asher 87" modern sofa
Interior Define
Curvy Dining Side Chair in White
$99.00 | LexMod
Jubilee Gold Four-Light Clear Gemcut Wall Sconce, 11W x 15H x 11D
$592.00 | Bellacor