Saturday shopping trip

ravensfan52(6)April 28, 2013

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting a hosta nursery about 40 minutes away, in York Springs PA.It is called the Hosta Hideaway. It is a personal residence, with the backyard turned into beautiful display gardens and pathways on a tiered hillside. The owners are very friendly, helpful, and you can tell they love their business. Here are a few shots from the nursery, then I will show you what I bought:

This was a new one for 2013, called Ripple Effect. I did not buy it but took a pic to show you all as it looked pretty neat.

OK, here is what I got. Most all of them were on my wish list, and 2 new ones "spoke to me" while I was there :) The pics show most of them planted from when I got home:

Altantis

Summer Breeze

First Frost - will go in a pot under the J. maple:

Afterglow

Regal Splendor

Touch of Class

Cascades (this was an impulse buy)

Blue Ivory (will be next to Blue Angel)

Dick Ward

Rhino Hide (my other impulse buy)

Paradise Island - the yellow on this one is electrifying!!
It will go in a pot in a shady area by the house.

Dance with Me

I also got Queen of the Seas and June Fever, but the pics didn't upload correctly. They all are smaller divisions, but I am fine with that. I was also given a free hosta, Loyalist, which was a very nice surprise. There were 2 other hostas that my eye kept wandering to, but I didn't get them due to budget. One was Marilyn Monroe and the other was Chain Lightning. I don't have pics, but google them! Anyway, thought you'd like to see the haul :) Here's to a warmer week for everyone...
Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon

Amy,

I don't know how shady the spot is that you have planned for Paradise Island, but a light hosta like that would like more sun.

Jon

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:18PM
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

Wow I bet that was a fun trip! There is place like that ab out 30 miles from my house...I NEED to get down there and check it out!

You bought some very nice selections, many of them are on my wish list too. I bought Ripple effect and First Frost last year and today I went to the local nursery and picked up a nice Sagae, Queen of the Seas and Neptune. I would love to find a Blue Ivory and Atlantis.

Linda :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:49PM
beverlymnz4

Nice haul. Thanks for sharing your experience. I like to know about these special spots so I can visit when I travel.

Beverly

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:51PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Nice group of hosta you picked up. I encourage you to keep a spot in your gardens for some solids, they help showcase the variegated ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:17PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

I am jealous of that little field trip ! What a sight..

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:07PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Extremely successful shopping trip!

-Babka

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:57PM
hostahillbilly(4)

Pretty looking place, thanks for taking the time to share! we absolutely love these little private places and seek them out. we got our ripple effect from the originator at his gardens 2 years ago when we were visiting Lisik Gardens. Phil and Ginger caught me looking longingly at one of the private greenhouses and graciously invited me in for a look. one of several great private gardens to visit in Michigan! K Gardens just south of Grand Rapids MI is a MUST see, and where e find the best value. It's only 90 miles south of us, so we go ar least twice a year. north of us in Interlochen Michigan is cedar hedge gardens by Donna. don't mistake it for the other one in interlochen which is nowhere near as good

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
When To Re-pot?
When is the correct time to up-pot a hosta? Is it when...
santamiller
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
hostanista
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™