Pressured Carrots

beeman_gardener(5)September 1, 2011

We are in the process of Pressure canning carrots. We followed the Bernardin book to the letter.

Raw packed chunks of Carrot, processed for 30 minutes at 11 lbs.

Not wanting to waste a whole seasons production we opened one jar as soon as possible and found them to be very soft. Over processed?

My Question. Can we reduce the process time some what, hopefully to get a firmer final product?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

If you canned quarts, that is the correct time.

Home-canned product does tend to be softer, though the variety and condition of the carrots would also be a factor.

You can do what many commercial processors do and add pickle crisp (calcium chloride) for additional firmness. I don't have experience using it with vegetables, but IIRC Linda_Lou has used it with potatoes with good results.

Carol

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 4:39PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree that home canned carrots will be softer. It is just the nature of the food in home canning. Some find it acceptable, some don't.

Young baby carrots that are firm and have less fibrous core development seem to hold up better for me. And pints are more firm than quarts. Using large chunks as opposed to slices helps (I would never dice them) some but adding Pickle Crisp (per label instructions) is the best solution I have found. And they are one of the few foods that I prefer to use raw pack on rather than hot pack.

Reducing the time is your choice. I wouldn't because I want that assured safety. But no canning police will knock on your door an haul you away. Just understand that they would be considered under-processed and so of greater risk to consume.

Dave

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 5:08PM
beeman_gardener(5)

Thanks, but no thanks. The idea of me canning, growing etc is to avoid chemicals, so I don't see me adding that sort of stuff. I'll live with slightly softer.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 8:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You might want to do some research into food grade calcium chloride (Pickle Crisp). It isn't a chemical anymore than salt. It is a natural salt that in water breaks down into calcium (Ca++) and chloride (ClâÂÂ) an insoluable salt. They are both normal constituents of the body.

Dave

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 9:43PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

It is harmless, just a form of calcium.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
True "Daylight Savings"
Crankshaft comic Strip for Sunday, March 08, 2015 I...
berrybusy
What are Lime Pickles
I found this recipe in Southern Living, which basically...
gardengrl
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
Sponsored Products
Van Teal Run Away Carrot Velvet Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Lights Up | Devo Oval Table Lamp
$140.00 | YLighting
Black Julienne Blade & Adjustable Slicer
$19.99 | zulily
Ceramic Soup Bowl - Set of 4
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Mini Vegetable Garden Marker - Carrots
Signature Hardware