Forgot to add Acid while canning tomato

jmwolffSeptember 5, 2009

I just processed my first 4 jars of tomatoes and I realized I forgot to add citric acid or lemon juice. :(

I have pure tomatoes in there (all Paulina Plum/Romas) I peeled them, and then crushed them while cooking, then added a little salt and hit it with the boat motor...then I cooked it down until it was the right consitency...then processed in a water bath. (40 minutes for 1 quart jars).

Now what? Do I have to do the whole thing over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Less than 24 hours right? If so, open the jars and add the citric acid to them then re-process for 45 mins.

Dave

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 3:54PM
jmwolff

yes...only about 15 minutes after lol

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 5:21PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

The really good news is it's only 4 jars rather than 3 or 4 batches.

Carol

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:23PM
jmwolff

oh Carol...it feels like a million to me LOL...holy mackeral that was a lot of work for 4 jars LOL. I am sure it gets easier with time. 2 were saved tonight, I will fix the other two in the morning with the rest of the tomoatos.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:36PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yeah it does get easier with practice. But I find that purple or orange post-it notes that say things like "ADD CITRIC ACID" still come in handy. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:40PM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

Well, I only did slightly better. I only made 5 quarts and let my mind wander while I worked, so for two of them when I went to put the covers on I had forgotten if I had put the citric acid in or not. I added some at the end. I may end up with two jars that are fine or two with double the amt of citric acid. Oh well, if they taste sour, I will know why, but at least they are safe. :)

Sue

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:51PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I always add the citric and salt at the time of filling each jar. They all get the same measured amount and its easily seen in the empty glass jars before they get filled.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:58PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I know all about losing focus and forgetting. I also add citric acid before filling jars with product and then do a visual check. It's really easy to "space out" in the pressure of canning.

Carol

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 11:52PM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

I was doing a hot pack into hot jars and the instructions said to remove the jar from the boiling water, add citric acid, then tomatoes, cover and return to water before removing the next jar. Although I had thought of removing and adding the acid to the jars all at the beginning, I thought instructions said to do it the other way was so the jars would not cool off. Now I think it probably wouldn't have mattered and would have been easier to keep track of.

Sue

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™