Magnolia Tree hasn't grown an inch in SIX years

ShedrachOctober 7, 2012

Hello. I am bit perplexed. I was given a potted Magnolia Tree from a friend about six years ago. It was about four and half feet tall. I planted it in the front yard. The front yard gets full sun nearly all day. There are no other substantial bushes, trees or shrubs within 15 feet of the Magnolia. It blooms every year and looks quite healthy. YET..it has not grown one single inch in height since I planted it! Is this unusual? I began to wonder if it might be a Dwarf Magnolia but I understand that even those grow to 20 or so feet. Any clues? I am stumped. Cheers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slopfrog

I'm no expert on magnolias (I rather hate them, actually, due to many childhood hours wasted raking tens of thousands of their leaves and picking up their horrible seed pods) but that doesn't sound right at all.

First thing, was it root bound when you planted it? If the roots were all tight and balled up in a small pot, then often that tree will get permanently stunted because it can't develop a proper root system.

Barring that, are you fertilizing the tree and ensuring micronutrients are available? And is there grass growing underneath the tree? St. Augustine grass in particular will gobble up every bit of water and nutrients and not let the tree get what it needs to grow. What about soil conditions there? Is perpetually wet or dry? I wonder if pH makes a difference for these trees.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 1:53PM
jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)

Are you sure you don't have a dwarf " Little Gem " magnolia tree ? What about the beautiful white flowers in spring,..none of them either ?
I have two on my front lawn, one a " Little Gem " and the other a normal Southern Magnolia. The Little Gem was 3 1/2 ft tall at planting 3 yrs ago and now is 6 ft tall. Am expecting it to top out at about 9 - 10 ft. I have given it lots of TLC,..watered it 2 x a week the first 6 mos, then only occasionally, but fertilize every 3 mos with 10-10-10.
I love magnolia's, the normal Southern Magnolia ( will get to 60 ft ) is now a robust 7 foot tall with the most magnificently scented, foot wide white flowers I have ever seen or smelled.
Perhaps yours is a " Little Gem " dwarf and maybe even damaged somehow,..no growth in 6 yrs tho is very strange, even for a Little Gem. I'd ladle in some 10-10-10 every 2 months and carefully water it. If still no sign of growth I'd think seriously of digging it up. Good luck !

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 2:40PM
Shedrach

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty positive I "loosened" the root ball before planting it. There is no grass around the tree (it is surrounded by a 6 foot circle of mulch). It has bloomed every year..big beautiful white flowers which smell lovely. The leaves are nice and shiney. It's just not getting any taller. One thing though.....it WAS planted on the site where a deceased Sago palm tree existed. I wonder if there could be any old palm root down in the ground impeding the magnolia's growth. Surely (if there were any root left) it would be rotted away by now. Hmmmm. Funny thing is...the friend who gave me the tree had two (that he had gotten from the same place). He never planted his and it has more than doubled in height just sitting in it's original pot.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 3:06PM
starryrider(9)

I would try an Azeala, Camillia, Gardenia fertilizer. Magnolias LOVE acid.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
Question about moles
Well, I'm having another Florida wildlife experience. It...
lynne_melb
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
Sponsored Products
Pear & Magnolia Room & Fabric Freshener - Set of Six
$34.99 | zulily
Magnolia Cocoa 120 to 170-Inch Curtain Rod
$61.95 | Bellacor
Magnolia Mahogany Bronze Two-Light Wall Sconce
$136.00 | Bellacor
Pastel Magnolia 30 in. Round Swivel Bar Stool - Autumn Rust - Set of 2 - PAST158
$478.00 | Hayneedle
Jane Seymour Magnolia Bud 24 in. Wreath - P91660-FU
$185.00 | Hayneedle
Greenington Magnolia Nesting Table - GT0604E
$899.00 | Hayneedle
Magnolia Sky Wood Wall Art
$54.99 | zulily
Magnolia Cocoa 48 to 84-Inch Curtain Rod
$33.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™