can you use a stainless steel pot?

kerryvSeptember 23, 2012

when combining and boiling/simmering, etc can you use a stainless steel pot? I see some recipes say dont and others dont say anything at all. just curious. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

Absolutely you can. Stainless is the best. (Never saw a recipe that said "Don't use stainless")? Don't use aluminum or cast iron for acidic ingredients, like tomatoes.

Enamel coated cast iron (like Le Creuset or whatever that really expensive stuff is called) is fine.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 5:00PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree that stainless is the ideal. Like malna said I can't think of anything that you couldn't or shouldn't use SS for.

Aluminum however is far from ideal for many foods and many recipes will have a note to not use aluminum.

Dave

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 6:56PM
ellen_inmo(6)

Dave, can you go into full detail as to why? Or post a link on past discussions about this?

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:38PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You mean no aluminum? I won't get into the long heated debate over never use aluminum pans for anything because of all the dangers supposedly related to them. That debate isn't relevant to this forum.

But when it comes to canning, NCHFP explains it in part in the FAQs there saying something to the effect that acidic foods interact with aluminum and can lead to off-colors and flavors as the acids cause them to pit and that releases more of the metals into the foods.

Google will give you lots more info about it including lists of foods that shouldn't be used with reactive cookware: pickles, highly salted foods, tomatoes, acidic fruits, rhubarb, sauerkraut and other fermented foods.

OK?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning 101: Why You Can't Cook Acidic Foods in Reactive Pots

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:08PM
jxbrown

The business about aluminum and Alzheimer's dementia comes from a study that was flawed and has been retracted. Healthwise aluminum has been exonerated, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make acidic food taste bad. Aluminum for BWB or PC is fine. I don't cook in it, because it tastes like aluminum foil.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 3:34AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Cheap stainless (and there's a lot of it around) will not necessarily perform any better than aluminum.

A thin stainless pot without an encapsulated base is very prone to scorching. It's not a good conductor and if there's not enough chromium in the alloy, it will also corrode.

The use of a higher proportion of expensive alloys in the stainless explains the superior performance of some older stainless brands like original Farberware.

Carol

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 4:33AM
kerryv

Thank you! I will use my stainless one from now on.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Sponsored Products
Anatolia Sage and Beige Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
Modern Planter
$250.00 | Horchow
Orchid Terry Oven Mitt - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
Metal Rectangular 16-hook Pot Rack
Overstock.com
Pod Ground Stake ONLY by Luceplan
$45.00 | Lumens