Stupid question about eyes

melaroma(6)April 21, 2012

I have had hostas for many years now but have never really taken the time to observe them in the spring and am curious as to how many leaves each eye produces. I would think that it would be several as one of my hostas only has 5 eyes so far but last years had about 12 leaves.

Anyone know the answer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frostynyc(7)

It varies by variety, age of the plant, size of the eye, etc. From personal experience, I've had as few as four leaves per eye to more than ten leaves per eye.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:22PM
Johnsp(6b)

Ditto to what frostynyc just stated particularly given variety.

Scott

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:38PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

melaroma - and at the very extreme - Maekawa produces a bare minimum - mine had two divisions last year with 1 leaf each and 1 flower scape total. I have three divisions this year so I should have a bounty crop of three leaves. So you hope frost, deer and rabbits are kind to this one.

Paul

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:45PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

this is an interesting question, as are the answers.. I have just been assuming 5 per eye this year as a way to project a plant size.. But I hadn't realized so many leaves could be possible ...

What I love seeing most is new eyes during the late spring and summer, emerging out a way from the center of the plant, that always makes me think ..WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR !

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:38AM
melaroma(6)

Thank you all for your answers. I have a hosta that has 22 eyes that I was tempted to divide but was unsure as to wether it would be full enough if I divided it into groups of three eyes. Now I know.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™