Dunstan Chestnuts (blight-resistant American Chestnut hybrid)

loufloralcityz9October 7, 2010

I just received a few pounds of Dunstan Chestnuts and will be planting some as seeds to grow trees, I will roast the rest to eat. There are many blight-resistant hybrids of American and Chinese chestnuts to grow. These trees can reach 50 feet tall at maturity. This is the Dunstan hybrid (The Dunstan Chestnuts are the first chestnuts to ever receive U.S. Plant Patents) from Dr. Robert T. Dunstan. There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. Chestnuts are moderately fast growers and, in general, are hardy in USDA zones 5 to 9. It's best to grow two or more varieties of chestnuts to get proper pollination and nut production. If there are any of you in zones 8 & 9 and have the room for this tree please let me know and I can pop a seed in a pot for you before they all end up in my tummy. Mind you this will take some time to sprout and get strong enough to mail out. Most nut trees start producing within 3 to 5 years of planting. So you don't have to wait long for your first harvest. My cross pollinator will be my two Chinese Chestnut trees.

NOTE; You will need a different variety as a pollinator of which I cannot supply. So you will have to have the space for two large trees.

Again, Please let me know if interested,

Lou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I think I'm jealous! I love chestnuts - only wish I had the space in my tiny yard....

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 9:15AM
sharon_9_fl(z9 FL)

I'd like a couple. I'll make space for them. Since these are grown from seed, each should be it's own "variety," shouldn't it? Two seedlings should cross pollinate successfully.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 11:50AM
loufloralcityz9

Sharon,
You make a good point, I really don't know, but what you say makes very good sense. On the site that sells Chestnut trees to the growers, they were talking about what the 'Growers' should do to maximize their crop yield is intersperse a one to ten ratio of a different hybrid. We don't need 'maximized crop yields', just enough for the furry tailed tree critters with some left over for us :)
I will be starting the seeds in my green house with a heat mat under under the pots. I will post the progress on them.

These are gorgeous looking nuts, far superior to those Chinese nuts you get in stores,
Lou

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 12:45PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Lou,

Add me to the list for a couple, thanks.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 3:16PM
loufloralcityz9

Sharon,
You are correct with two trees will cross pollinate, I just looked it up. Chestnuts have both male and female flowers on the same tree but are not self-fertile. At least 2 trees are necessary to make nuts, and they should be no more than 200 feet apart for efficient pollination. Thank you for bringing that point to light.

Bamboo-rabbit,
I will start a couple of Chestnuts for you.
I'm just starting to get bud swell on a few of the Black Mulberry starts, they are looking good so far.
The grouper sounds like a good deal, Thanks.

Lou

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 5:41PM
pegone_mfx_net

Will one resistant tree grow in Northern Maine - for its beauty, not for the nuts? That's zone 4. Where should I get one?

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 3:13PM
loufloralcityz9

Sharon,

Please send me an email through GW so we can work out how to get the trees to you. I have two healthy Dunstan Chestnut trees growing in a one gallon pot for you.

Lou

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:52PM
Truscifi

Aw man, another thing I missed out on by not finding this site last year! I think it would be awesome to have chestnut trees. Another thing to add to my wish list, lol!

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 9:25AM
loufloralcityz9

Tru,

I may have extras, will have to go check. That area of my growing is very bushy right now with different trees I started from seeds and I'm not sure what all that is growing in there without pulling all the pots separate to see. I'll get back to you later.

Lou

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™