Dwarf Poinciana cause of death?

TheTradition(9b)October 5, 2012

I have two Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinina pulcherrima) plants that are about three years old. A few weeks ago, one of them started turning yellow near the branch ends, and the yellowing quickly spread to the entire plant, and all the leaves fell off. Oddly, the plant was still blooming despite this event, but now all the flowers are dead, too. The other tree has a little bit of yellow on some leaves, but does not appear to be going into the rapid decline that affected the other tree. The only disease that UF says they're susceptible to is mushroom root rot. However, I don't see any of the tell-tale fungi that would indicate mushroom root rot as the cause.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is my tree dead? I have plenty of seeds and can grow a replacement shrub easily, but if I stick it in the same place will that spot be forever infected and kill the replacement, too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
starryrider(9)

Generally if the plant is dead the leaves stay attached to the dead stem/branches. You can scratch the bark with your finger nail and see if the tree is green underneath the bark. I can't grow poinciana here so I don't know much about their care.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™