apple cider vinegar

pepfun1September 23, 2008

Will apple cider vinegar go bad?? I have 2 small bottles that are going on being several years old and don't have expiration dates on the bottles. Do they expire or just get more 'vingary' and lose the appleness? What can I do with them?

TIA

Pep

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegarÂs shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vinegar Institute

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 5:59PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. You will see sediment begin to develop in the bottom of cider vinegar and it turns a darker brown. Doesn't look good but technically it is still safe.

On the other hand, vinegar is so inexpensive that really old bottles are easily replaced.

Dave

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 6:36PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

if its very old, it could be higher than 5% acidity. If so, its great to use to vive something more vinegar taste instead of a lot more water. Cider vinegar is milder than white, and works very well in highly spiced sweet pickles, as well as in salsa.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™