Please help identify unknown root-like growth

FirstErin(9)October 28, 2013

We dug these strange things up from our back yard. We've been in this house for 25 years and have never planted anything in the area these were found. They are similar in size and shape to fingerling potatoes but many have quite a few smaller root like growths protruding from them. I've been in touch with the county extension service and they think it's a type of non showy orchard whose name escapes me at the moment. Where did they come from and what are they? Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

Orchid or orchard?

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 4:45PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

They look a lot like the tubers of gloriosa lilies to me, but I'm betting the county extension people are more knowledgable than I...

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 10:26AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Carolb, that's the first thing I thought when I saw them, too (gloriosa lily tubers). Can't tell for certain from the photo if the leaf structure matches or not, but it don't seem like it does.

If they were found along a fence line, it is possible that a prior owner planted gloriosa lilies, as they have tendrils and like to climb.

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 1:01PM
Kasima

Yep, gloriosa tubers. They are going dormant right now, so have no foliage. Plant them somewhere they can climb, and you will be rewarded with beautiful flowers in the summer.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 5:32PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Was this a spot you'd always kept mowed before? When drought made our grass go dormant a couple years ago, I found Lycoris and Gladiolus bulbs in the lawn. They were still green, and had just been getting mowed along with the grass for many years. I dug up and moved as many as I could and have started getting some blooms this year.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
wanted: perlite & peat moss wholesaler in miami, fl
Hi, I'm thrilled to come across this site. So many...
PowPowPow
Pics of recycle pipe and my garden
Hello to all of my gardening friends! This past year...
organic_elizabeth_b
mature mango tree help
This will be our 3rd season in this house with a mature...
halfwaythere
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™