help weed spur pokey things !!!!!!!

momof2sweetiesOctober 25, 2007

HI,

I am new to Florida and have over a acre. We have centipede grass slowly taking over ( which we want ) but, we have these weed grass things growing all over that have little "SPUR" like really pokey things growing they stick on us and our poor dog. We have been pulling them out but they are EVERY where. Does anyone know what they are and what I can do to get rid of them.

Thank you!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manature(9B Sanford, FL)

Welcome to Florida, and welcome to the absolute WORST weed of all, sandspurs! They are horrible! When they stick in your bare feet, it's just miserable, because they have little barbs on them that break off and HUUUURT!

I don't know how one gets rid of them, other than pulling. Maybe a weed killer would work, but would probably destroy your centipede grass. I'm sure someone here can tell you whether to try something like RoundUp, or a pre-emergent weed killer, or a flame thrower or something. These folks are pretty knowledgeable about stuff like this.

I'm just GLAD that sandspurs are one weed we don't have in our yard. (Maybe the ONLY one.)

Good luck!
Marcia

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 4:21PM
barbcoleus(z10 Cape Coral,Fl)

Sandspurs are the only thing I don't like about Florida. Unfortunately I think you have to pull them out. If you use Roundup, they die but those little barbs are still there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Barb

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 8:52PM
olyagrove(z9 Tampa, FL)

I have had a bunch, but through constant pulling/picking have reduced the population to almost none. My husband and I would come out with a bucket and a shovel, and do a patch at a time.
I am against using RounUp or any other herbicide...I will rather do it the harder way (manual labor...that is)

Good luck with your battle!
Olya

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 9:04PM
Jan Sword

Maybe you can pour boiling water on them I know it works on the fire ants, it may kill some grass nearby but might be worth try.
Jan

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 9:45PM
lellie(z9 Anna Maria Island)

Sandspurs & 'far-ants'...the worst of Flarda!

I don't have them in my yard, either, but if I walk the 2 short blocks to the beach...wham!
(I have a habit of not wearing shoes.)

Trust me when I say: "They poke through flip-flops, too!"...LOL

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 9:10AM
manature(9B Sanford, FL)

I agree with Olya that I don't like using chemicals to kill things when I can possibly avoid it, but the thought of manually doing an entire yard full of sandspurs is pretty grim. However, barbcoleus has a good point. If you kill the plants without pulling them up, you still have the dadblamed spurs to contend with. No easy answers on this one, I'm guessing, but I'm still interested to see if anyone else can suggest something.

Marcia

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 4:27PM
tufanewbe

I had these all over when I lived in San Antonio. What I did was to mow them down but I bagged the grass clippings. THe mower acts somewhat like an outdoor vacuum. You need to continue doing this until the spurs have been removed. you need to use pre-emergent such as corn gluten in the winter time when the grass has gone dormant. Also the spurs breakdown by the next spring or summertime when the grass re-awakens so you would not need to worry about removing every last spur. Since you have one acre I cant tell you what do do about the entire area but perhaps in the immediate vicinity of the house.

Good Luck.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 10:31PM
jupiterplants(10/A)

If you diligently inspect your yard you will notice that there is a point that you can recognize that the plant is sandspur..... and get it before it ( opens)

digging it up is the best way :(

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 8:00AM
momof2sweeties

thank you - off I go to pull and pull and pull !!!!

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
New small bed
Hello. New here, not to gardening but new to landscaping....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Plant ID
Bought this plant at a garden show this weekend, and...
oldmangroot
Plant ID
Hi everyone, I have this "mystery" plant...
bellagirl0614
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
What happened to Old Garden Web?
WoW! I took a little time off, and come back totally...
cenflagirl
Sponsored Products
Bristow Hair Dryer Holder
Signature Hardware
6" Fluted Drop Opal Trim by Juno
$41.32 | Lumens
Zero Gravity Extra Wide Recliner Lounge Chair
Overstock.com
Offset Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Lite Source Aged-Copper Adjustable Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus