getting ready for seeds

simon5136(z6.5 NY)February 8, 2005

In exactly four weeks, I'll be planting my annual seeds in my garage, (under lights) so they will be ready for transplanting early in May. I'm ready! Convolvus, nasturtium, cosmos, wave petunias, tomatos etc. Mostly Park Seed (Thompson and Morgan is too expensive and not any better.)

I can't wait until the first of them break through in their trays.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackcat333(z6 NY)

I usually order from Select Seeds for whatever I can't find in a store or trade for here on Gardenweb. Next year I'll probably try another catalog since I think I've gotten just about everything I want from SS! This year I have over 200 varieties of seeds, so I'm thankful I discovered the Winter Sowing Forum. There's no way I could start them all under lights and keep up with them, too.

Isn't this a wonderful time of year? It's so full of expectation, and just the sight of grass showing under the melting snow makes me long for spring breezes and seedlings pushing their heads up out of the soil. But, we're supposed to get 3 inches of new snow tomorrow night so we'll be back to winter for awhile!

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 4:04PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

The birds know that spring is coming. They seem to be out in ever greater numbers, pirouetting around the trees and lining up to gossip on the fences.

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 8:05PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

I saw robins this weekend, up on a hill across from the Ashokan Reservoir. The birds are singing spring songs, and the deer (tracks in snow) are eating my birdseed! I sprinkled hot pepper on the seeds on the ground.

My garden gate is still frozen into the snow/mud so I have to dream. Against the south side of the house, daffodils are coming up.

Adams had a slide show of new annuals for this year. They grow all the plants in their greenhouse, even those in the white pots that say 'select growers.' Never knew that. Anyway, angelonia looked very good...new to me.

Bookmark   February 15, 2005 at 7:55PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Can hardly wait to get out there and get muddy. Simon's got me thinking about expanding my seed-starting plans, which so far have been modest.

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
anyone else experiencing bumblebees?
ok, so we've had flies. we've had lady bugs. we're...
robbiezone5
What's your experience with tick bites this season?
I have been bitten about 5 times this season. I'm in...
susanzone5
Know of any great summer sales?
Do you know when any good nurseries are starting to...
kitasei
manure
I am interested in geting some cow, horse or chicken...
skariolis
Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem
I have a 20 year old Contorta (Harry Lauder Walking...
erlichada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™