current activity

candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)February 21, 2010

I haven't been visiting garden forums for a while, but I'm interested in finding a forum where discussions are relevant to my location and where members are participating. I'm making a seed starting chart, trying to for once organize myself. I'm also trying to decide what to do about growing tomatoes this year as I don't feel I can continue using my one and only 4x10 fenced bed. The sunshine yesterday and today has really woken me up. Just curious about what's happening in the Hudson Valley.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auntyara(5a)

Hi candyinpok,

I poke my nose in here every once in a while but Things are pretty slow. I think it's the lack of sunlight.
Have you been to the winter sowing forum lately? Things are always jumping there. And a lot of us are from NY and cold and warm zones.
It's a really nice bunch. warm and welcoming.
Hope to see ya there
:) Laura
P.S.
sorry, but I just had to bump those 2 old post. It was getting depressing.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 9:51PM
auntyara(5a)

OOPs forgot to post the link.

:)Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing forum

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 9:55PM
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

Hi candyinpok! If I am interpreting your user name correctly, I think you are not too far from me, I'm in Northern Westchester.
Things ARE slow in this forum!
About your tomato dilemma, can you try growing some determinates in pots? Assuming you don't want to, or can't, make yourself another raised bed. I'm going all out this year, building 8 new 4x4 beds. Planning sort of a potager design for them, combining mostly edibles with a few flowers and lots of herbs, along with blueberries along one perimeter. I have some seedlings started and under grow lights in my basement right now, as well as some that haven't yet germinated. Just moving at very slow speed right now, especially with today's slushy snow mess.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 12:48PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

I'm thinking about finding where I put the seed catalogs so that I can start thinking about what to order.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 1:27PM
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

LOL...motivated much, nygardener? ;)
If nothing else, I'm glad I started my parsley when I did. I had forgotten how tediously slow it was since I haven't been able to garden for the past 2 years.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 2:58PM
tommyr_gw

As we get closer to spring this forum will hopefully perk up.
I am certainly itching to get outside and start gardening! AND to move all these plants outside!

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Where can I buy straw?
Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry),...
KGates
House plant pests
I heard that cold pressed neem oil is good for house...
cheryl64
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Allegheny spurge, periwinkle and other
I'm looking for an evergreen groundcover that won't...
kitasei
Can Garlic Kill Raspberry Crown/Cane Borers
Anyone have experience with killing Raspberry Crown/Cane...
Greenhorn2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™