Cheap Trees & Shrubs!

dbclaverackFebruary 2, 2007

Is everyone aware of the Bare Root Tree/Shrub Program being offered by The Columbia County Soil and Water Conservation District?

They are offering quite a few different trees, shrubs and groundcover barroot plants for early spring planting. These are not large plants, but I've asked around and heard that they are good quality and do indeed grow up to be big and strong!

These are sold in packages of 10, and are ridiculously inexpensive (a bundle of 10 blue spruce saplings is $20.00!) Again, they're not large yet, but a great way of doing a mass planting for a very resonable price.

Check out the list at:

http://ccswcd.org/barerootprogram.htm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corapegia(z5 NY)

Thanks for the info. Looks like they have some good choices. Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ulster County offers a similar program though this year doing only evergreens and berries. So if Kingston or New Paltz is closer for you (pickup required), this is an alternative. Their price range may be lower, from blue spuce @$10-transplant Canaan Fir @$15. The evergreens are 3yr bare-root seedlings. They also offer berries (blue, black, and rasp) http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/ulster

As dbclaverack said, they are definitely small. I bought some cranberry viburnam and some kind of ilex (not evergreen) about 20 years ago from this program and was at first dismayed by their diminutive stature. Well, after 5-6 years they started looking like something and I've always been glad I gave them space. Although instant results are wonderful, there is something to be said for the long, slow road.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
Coyote Urine ....Woodchucks!
Yupp, its a real woodchuck problem! We have 4 babies...
joyce58
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
Where can I buy straw?
Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry),...
KGates
Dino Kale -- light in color. Ideas?
I put some of my dino kale from seed (1 month old,...
arobaina
Sponsored Products
Marble Dining Room base and 79" tempered Glass top - BYZANCE
Living'ROC
Nature Power Path & Landscape Lights Hanging Indoor/Outdoor Black 4 LED Solar
$49.99 | Home Depot
Orange22 | Minimal Coat Stand
YLiving.com
Three Bird Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Birdie Ceiling Light
Lightology