Uncovering gardens

JustJoeyGirl(z5 NY)March 22, 2006

Hi All, Happy Spring. I began uncovering my gardens over the last few days. I know it is still cold at night, but I usually wind up damaging some of the foliage if I wait too long to uncover the beds. Mostly oak leaves ( whole, not shredded) and branchs that fell over the winter. I have found a number of flowering crocus, iris reticulata and some daffodils in bud under there..some of the perennials are on their way up too. I am hoping to add some ammended compost and mulch in early this year. I see many of the plants that are usually up when I uncover them are not yet. This kind of defeats my purpose of mulching early..I don't want to step on or cover the crowns of pre-emerging perennials....

When do you uncover your gardens? For those that uncover early, what have been your experiences? (Maybe I'm not early, I don't know, it is just early for me...I think I usually do them after the daffodils are beginning to bloom.)

I did find it easier to get the leaves and debris off, and I think it will be easier to mulch around them when they are still small. The cooler weather makes it easier too.

I hope it is ok to uncover when temps are still low, or else I shouldn't have planted early spring bulbs amongst my perennials..I'd never get to see them... What do you do?

Happy Spring..JoAnn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa2004(NY Z5/6)

In the past I've waited too long to uncover my gardens (thinking that I was doing a good thing). However, underneath all the leaves my plants were trying to grow and ended up yellow and unhealthy. This winter I didn't even cover them with leaves. I figure it's survival of the fittest. It was so much work taking off all those leaves every spring anyway. I see that I have lots of healthy-looking plants comming up, so most of them must have made it.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I let nature cover the garden with leaves (too much work for me. haha.) I don't remove the leaves till late March, but I do like to help along the crocus leaves that are stuck. I like the way the early bulb flowers look against the leaves, moreso than bare soil.

Really, I don't think hardy perennials care. The downside to removing the mulch too early is the nightly frost/thaw heaves the soil everyday. That can uproot plants that should stay solidly frozen under that mulch.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Hudson Valley Home and garden tours?
I'm mostly on the New England board but decided to...
javaandjazz
anyone else experiencing bumblebees?
ok, so we've had flies. we've had lady bugs. we're...
robbiezone5
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
What's your experience with tick bites this season?
I have been bitten about 5 times this season. I'm in...
susanzone5
Coyote Urine ....Woodchucks!
Yupp, its a real woodchuck problem! We have 4 babies...
joyce58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™