oxo peeler great for peaches

catherinet(5 IN)September 5, 2010

I usually dip my peaches in boiling water, in order to skin them more easily for freezing. It wasn't working very well this year, and I hate heating the kitchen up like that. So I got out my handy-dandy oxo peeler, and it peels the un-dipped peaches sooooo easily. It just takes off a paper-thin amout of skin.

I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago.........but I didn't have an oxo peeler then. It is very sharp and I have the scars to prove it. haha

But its nice to not have to dip the peaches any more. And it goes so much more easily than with a paring knife.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They work good on a tomato too it you just want to peel a few without heating up a pot of water.

Dave

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 7:17PM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

catherine,

Thanks for the tip!

The hot-water dip wasn't working for me very well this year either --- works better on some varieties than others. I don't have an Oxo but I have a pretty good peeler my sister gave me and I tried it in desperation; it did a much better job than I expected. I think I'll invest in an Oxo for next year! I prefer the hot-water dip but it's good to have options....

Z

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 11:24PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I'll have to try it on tomatoes too.
Another tip.....it works great at cutting fingers too.....so be careful!
I usually try to buy utensils that don't have alot of extra stuff on them (for environmental reasons), but since I've developed alot of arthritis in my hands, the extra stuff on handles really helps now.
Now, if I could just freeze peaches and tomatoes by just looking at them, I'd really be in business! :)

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 12:06PM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

catherinenet,

Do you use the Y-shape type or the stick-shape type?

Z

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 6:00PM
jwangelin

I used a ceramic blade peeler and found its works great on everything from carrots to peaches. It's a Y shaped also.
Jon

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 7:09PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I have one of each, and tend to use the stick one more often.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:47PM
txtiger

I have a couple of OXO peelers. One of them has a serrated blade and does an amazing job peeling peaches.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 11:18PM
gardendawgie(5)

I went down to Target today and they have 3 OXO PEELERS. one is regular. one is perpendicular Y shape or T shape, and one is called serrated blade for soft fruit and soft veggies like tomatoes and peaches.

Which have people been using?

Who makes the one with the ceramic blade? or where to buy it? or both.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 2:29AM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

There was a little article about testing peelers in the new _Canadian Living_ issue. They recommended one with a really sharp serrated blade for peeling tomatoes and peaches---the brand they mentioned wasn't OXO but it looked just like the serrated-blade OXO does. I'm gonna get me one of those in one brand or another!
Z

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 9:19AM
sokelengl_hotmail_com

This is my trusted peeler . It is good in peeling tuber and fruits.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™