Cherry tomato salsa

ekgrowsSeptember 20, 2012

Has anybody made salsa with cherry tomatoes? I guess what I'm mostly curious about is the skin. Did you notice the skins in the final product? I realized today I don't have enough salsa canned, and the large tomatoes have slowed down a lot, while the cherries are still going strong. They may be my last chance at canning more salsa. I have sunsugar, black cherry, and super sweet 100's, so I know the salsa will be tasty, just the texture I'm a little concerned about. Thanks for any input :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Opened a jar last night that was a mix of cherry varieties (Juliet and Sun Gold) with regular tomatoes and yes we noticed the skins on the cherry-types.

It was still great and I'd make it again. But what surprised me was many of the cherries hadn't popped either during the cooking or the processing. Until you bit into them. Kind of a "salsa surprise", gives you salsa with a very different mouth feel. :)

Dave

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 7:31PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Wife made baked Cheesy-Tomato Enchiladas for supper last night using the rest of the salsa jar as a filling in the tortillas. Great stuff. Would you believe those cherry tomatoes still didn't break until we cut into them!

Dave

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 12:30PM
ekgrows

Thanks Dave! Looks like we have a low of 32 tomorrow night, so if in fact I want anymore salsa, I will have to use cherries. I have some regular tomatoes as well, so will probably be a half and half mix. I will probably half or quarter the cherries.

I had enchiladas last night too! Used the rest of the salsa I had in the fridge (the extras that didn't make it into canning jars) sauteed some peppers, onion, chard, rolled it up with cheese, topped with salsa - yum :)

Thanks again, I'll try to post back my results :)

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Pickled beets from store canned beets
I want to can some pickled beets using canned beets...
peanutone
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
Sponsored Products
52" Emerson Zurich Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Richmond Coffee Table
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Pedestal Table
$239.00 | Horchow
Cherry/ Charcoal Black Metal Folding Accent Table
Overstock.com
Tamburo 16 Bronze Three-Light Drum Pendant with Cherry Glass
$715.50 | Bellacor