What's coming up? What's coming back? What's probably not?

ffreidlMarch 10, 2010

I've got Daffodils with buds forming, crocus leaves but no flowers yet - maybe they're not going to bloom for me this year - daylilies coming up, some Tulip leaves but they look kind of loose - again, I'm thinking that they might not flower (when do you know about Tulips?). Last fall's foxglove leaves seem to be greening up, so I think they'll be fine.

I'm desperately searching for signs of life in three lilies I planted last year, as well as some echinacea plants. So far, nothing. When do yours start showing up, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auntyara(5a)

I'm still buried in snow. I usually start to see green at the end of march.
Last fall, a friend of a friend gave me a 5 gallon pail full of Mr.E bulbs. I can't wait to see what I got.lol. I hope they pretty.
About your tulips, hows the soil? It might be too compact. Try adding compost or maybe they're too deep.
good luck.
:)Laura

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 9:18AM
ffreidl

Poor you! The snow's been gone from my yard for at least a week. I think my tulips are probably played out. They're not from this past fall, they're from the year before, so I guess they're just done. Pretty expensive habit!

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 10:59PM
auntyara(5a)

ffreidl,
some tulips last for decades. My sister orders from ??(somewhere in europe)?? I can't remember, but they are very expensive and spread great. she gave me some. These are not the kind you can get from walmart or michigan bulb co. Those are great for a year or two and die out.
I'll find out the name and post it.
snow should be gone soon! 3 days of rain will get rid of it. I hope.

:)Laura

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 11:20PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

The only colorful bulbs are crocuses and a few Siberian squill, no open flowers yet, but you can see the colors in the closed blossoms. The daffodils don't seem to have even emerged yet. There's a pansy or two in bloom.

Lots of other stuff going on  corn salad has come back; sorrel, thyme, and sage have leafed out. Brambles have leaf buds, some (blackberries) starting to break. Celeriac and just a couple of kale and chard plants seem to have made it through the winter.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 9:29AM
lmw845(z5 NY)

Crocus, daffs, primula, squill and hellebores are blooming. All other bulb foliage - tulips, alliums, bluebells, fritillaria, colchicum, lycoris are growing like crazy!

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Will my Gold Cone Deodar Cedar turn Gold?
Hey guys, I live on Long Island, I purchased a Gold...
stuartlawrence
House plant pests
I heard that cold pressed neem oil is good for house...
cheryl64
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
manure
I am interested in geting some cow, horse or chicken...
skariolis
Sponsored Products
Wild Horses Antique Silver 82-Inch Steel Frame Curtain Rod Valance
$202.95 | Bellacor
Sprint Bone Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$277.80 | Bellacor
Top Knobs Normandy Appliance Pull - M843-12
$94.68 | Hayneedle
Hopson Single Arm Sofa - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
MaxLite LSU4806SU30DV40 4 Foot LED Utility Wrap Fixture, 4000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Pink & Gray Kayla Comforter Set
$39.99 | zulily
Chocolate Brown Oushak Hand Knotted Wool 8'x10' Turkish Geometric Area Rug H5486
BH Sun Inc
Extra Large Rectangular Textured Glass Plate on Iron Stand
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™