Hosta Leading Lady . . . .

paul_in_mn(4b)April 14, 2009

...has gone on and off my wants list several times in the last year. Need some input on how you like this hosta, or, also if you are indifferent. Pics are always welcome!

Please share your thoughts on Leading Lady.

Thanks

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo(z6/7)

It's a good hosta, but not an absolutely "must have" IMO. If mine were to die, I would probably replace it, but I would not go to ends of the earth to do so. I got it a couple of years ago at an end of the season sale because I didn't have it and it was a good price. It has gotten bigger, but not increased the number of eyes (2007 - 2008) and I can't tell you if it increased yet this year, it hasn't come up. I guess my thoughts aren't really much help! LOL!

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 6:26AM
omoelegba

Ditto...
It's a nice, big hosta but not remarkable. I also wouldn't hesitate to change it for something else. Interesting what caliloo said; just came back & checked on mine & I see the same amount of eyes as last year's: 5

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 9:34AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

IMHO .... in 7 to 10 years.. it will be to die for ...

get rid of something else..to have it ... its all in the undulating edges ...

mine in 2005

2007 .. ken

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 10:51AM
yardmom

Leading Lady is one of my favorites!

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 6:03AM
mctavish6

I agree with the "yes" votes. I had it for one year, lost it in the terrible spring of 2007 and replaced it in late 2007. Last year mine was equal to a one year old so here is a picture of my sisters spectacular plant. Bottom left is Sagae, top left is Blue Angel and bottom right is Seafire to show the size.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 11:51AM
caliloo(z6/7)

I dunno - nice photos everyone, but still not remarkable IMO. Certainly not a 10 foot rule type and though it is nice enough, not one that is a "must have".

Alexa

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 5:22PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and pictures. The other large yellow margined one I like from pics is Victory - hopefully I can get on a look at these on a Hosta Society Tour this summer.

Paul

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 10:08PM
mclarke

I love mine! It gets bigger and better every year.

I have it next to "OnStage" ... a theatrical theme.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 7:16PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Picked up a Leading Lady today. Put it in a bed that is deep with some other large hosta - S&S, Victory, Bressingham Blue,
nigrescens, Titanic - sort of a land of the large hosta bed.
Now just have to wait. . . . . . . . . . . . are we there yet.

Room for a couple more large - any suggestions?

Paul

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 9:57PM
greenthumbz4mn

Paul--Look into Yellow River--I'm assuming you have Montana AM--my all time fav. Mary

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 10:09PM
bragu_DSM 5

Bought it several years ago when Mark Zillis spoke to our hosta group. Following year, i split it and gave it to a friend. Mine promptly died. Following year, he split it and gave me a piece. His died.
Mine came up this year. But it is not splittable.
mebbe next year

dkB

^_^

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 10:57PM
loisflan

Mary, I agree... Yellow River is a beauty, and a fast grower too. I picked up Edd Tide today, and I think it will be wonderful. It's a montana Aureomarginata sport, although it's listed as only medium-large in size. The montana-shaped leaves have a mottled yellow-gold margin.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:36AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 8:50PM
ohiolibrarian

Here is a pic of Yellow River, which is currently the largest single plant I have after 10 years in the ground. It is between 4-5 feet across. I find it prone to edge burn, even though it is growing right against the east side of the house. I also have Leading Lady, which is a fast grower and a beautiful plant in its own right.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 8:35PM
greenthumbz4mn

My Yellow River gets no direct sun. It is not as large as Librarian's, but it has never had a blemish on it's wonderfully large leaves. Nor a slug bite! Lois, I got an Ebb Tide last fall. It has no direct sun, and so far I am not getting a yellow edge on it. BUT it is already large and has the most glorious shape--I LOVE it and am eager to see how large it will get. Good luck with yours. Mary

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 11:19PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

I have Yellow River, but don't think I want to move it as it has settled in nicely. Probably try to find something new - pic on another posting showed Regal Promenade - very nice coloring/streaking but sounds very unstable. Maybe a medium to large streaked?

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks

Paul

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 11:31PM
dbowemd(z5 OH)

At the convention last week, Jim Wilkins, the originator, had a nice cluster of mature plants of Leading Lady and some others that he hybridized. He planted them when he first had the plant TC'ed.
It is an amazingly beautiful plant, a rich deep dark satiny green and yellow margin, excellent contrast.
Mine is not as nice, but it was really nice before I had to move. Unfortunately, it did not tolerate the move very well and shrunk a lot. I got another piece from my buddy Delbert. Great plant! It's pretty easy for me to recognise, very big leaves a little like Victory but darker green, not glossy.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 9:48AM
bragu_DSM 5

wonder what you folks are saying now, severals years later?

I'll post a pix when it stops raining. It is sooooo slug resistant and after the scales are spent, you can trim 'em and still have a beyond-gorgeous plant.

Oh, it does get big, so give it the room of four plants (or at least three).

It'll grow on ya. Yes, it will.

_~

dave

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:32PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Here's a pic from last year....it's at least a half leaf wider in all directions this year.

Paul

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
donrawson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™