Is this H. fungii?

ima_diggerJuly 11, 2011

I got a cutting a few years back and it has grown quite a bit. It was supposed to be fungii. After looking at pictures of other fungii, I'm not so sure. This picture is from last year. If it gets too much sun the leaves get light in color. I've moved it to a different location and the leaves are changing in color, getting darker.

Here's the peduncle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kidsandcats(7)

Hi, ima! It looks like a carnosa to me, but I'm not really an expert, so you may want to wait for some others to chime in on this one.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:47AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Its beautiful Ima! I agree with KC. It looks like a Carnosa to me also! At least that's my guess...

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:19PM
mdahms1979

I agree because the darker contrasting veins are abscent from your plants leaves. Your plant looks so nice and healthy but does this mean you now have more than one carnosa now that it has been identified as something other than the name it came with?

Mike

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 5:56PM
denise_gw

I think what you have there is an obovata x. carnosa. Here's mine...

It's a great grower and faithful bloomer.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 7:37PM
ima_digger

Denise, the leaves on my plant resemble yours. I really didn't think it was fungii, but didn't think it was carnosa because of the rounded leaves. Leaves are quite large. The flowers look like carnosa flowers though. Oh well! Whatever it is, I love it. It blooms every year at this time and flowers last quite long, almost a full week or more.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 7:53PM
mdahms1979

There are several different forms of Hoya carnosa and some do have these more rounded leaves. The variety shown in the link is a good example of a large round leafed carnosa variety that was once called Hoya freaklea.
If you look at Hoya obovata's flowers they are reflexed back and obovata's hybrid also has these reflexed flowers. The plant in question has essentially flat flowers so it is unlikely that it is the carnosa x obovata hybrid.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya carnosa

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:51PM
ima_digger

Thanks for the link, Mike. My leaves are more rounded and don't really have any speckles on them. A few years back, when I posted a picture on either DG or Epiforums, someone said it was carnosa 'Vietnam'. I'm not sure about that either.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:49AM
mdahms1979

Hoya carnosa is the same species whether it comes from China or Vietnam so the collection site is not really important, plants don't care about political boundaries, only geographical barriers like mountain ranges etc. Hoya carnosa Vietnam has characteristics unlike your plant such as dark contrasting leaf veins and different leaf shape and dimensions.
Many of the species in section Hoya come from this area including Hoya carnosa, dasyantha, fungii, sp Kunming Kina and Hoya villosa. Both Hoya dasyantha and fungii have dark contrasting veins on the leaves which your plant does not have. To get a better understanding you should measure the leaves as well and compare that to the description of each species.

The Hoya freaklea link was really just to illustrate the differences between different forms of Hoya carnosa and that the plants don't all need to fit neatly into what we usually think of as Hoya carnosa. If you copy and paste the link below you can see at the bottom the range of Hoya carnosa and that there are multiple varieties with quite varied leaves. Also look at the range of leaf size, 3.5cm to 13cm long and 3cm to 5cm wide.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=610&taxon_id=200018633

Here is the description of Hoya dasyantha, notice it says the veins are slightly raised.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=601&taxon_id=200018634

The very bottom link is for Hoya fungii's description on The Flora of China.

I think the only way to get a concrete ID would be to take very good photos and measurements and send those to someone like Christine Burton to review.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya fungii in Flora of China

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™