Well, it ought to be tasty!

Heather1970(utahzn5)September 14, 2009

I was preparing a pot of apples to make applesauce today. I remembered seeing in the freezer an 8 oz container of strawberries that I had cut up and froze with some sugar. I decided to chuck those in the apples because the freezer was getting crowded. AFTER I thawed it in the microwave for a minute and dumped it in the apples I realized it was really a container of strawberry freezer jam!

So far it all smells divine and I imagine it is going to taste pretty good too. I just wonder if it might thicken up a bit, and hopefully it is not too sweet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Hard to tell, even though there is 'pectin', both added from the berries and natural in apples. It may just be a sauce and lose the jel set. Can them, and wait a few weeks to see if they set up again. Probably a 70% of no set however. Freezer items labels??

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 6:54PM
Heather1970(utahzn5)

We had the leftovers at dinner tonight. Was a tad sweet, but we liked it.
Yes, rational people would put labels on their jams, wouldn't they? I usually write on the lid, don't know why I didn't for that container.

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 10:20PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

If the mixture is too sweet, you can open a jar, add a bit of acid blend and stir it in. That way it will help to give you bit more fruit flavor as opposed to cloying sugar. I use teh blend in all my jams and jellies as well as in some fruit drinks that are made from Crystal Light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acid blend source

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 1:37PM
annie1992

Rational? Heather, you are talking about rabid renegade canners here, LOL. We don't need no labels.....ahem. Well, I do, but that's another story altogether.

Actually, that mixture sounds like it would be pretty good, something the grandkids would like a lot. Thanks for the idea, even if it was accidental!

Annie

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™