Companion plants outside raised bed-Effective? (Advice)

tristateMay 21, 2010

I know there's a forum for companion planting but no one there responded and this group is MUCH more responsive :) so here goes..

Companion plants to ward off pests (marigold, nasturtium, tansy etc.) are supposed to be planted nearby. But how close and does it matter if the companions are planted outside the frame of the raised garden bed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auntyara(5a)

good question, but I don't know. I would guess it would still work. It's not like they have to be touching right?. Give it a try.
:)Laura

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 1:08PM
christine1950

I would plant inside and outside of the bed to be on the safe side, I use marigold's.. Good Luck

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 8:10AM
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

I spend a lot of time in the potager forum and this seems like a question tailor made for them! In my opinion, anything within about 3' of one another will benefit (or suffer) from the synergies of companion planting. Of course I have very little evidence of this, LOL, but in my experience that is the case. I like to stick nasturtiums in the corners of some raised beds so they spill out onto the gravel (which I use for paths in my veg garden).

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Where can I buy straw?
Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry),...
KGates
Baking Soda and Soil
Hello....Recently I have read that thinly applying...
joyce58
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™