Care tips for macgillivrayi?

lovingmy4babiesJuly 12, 2011

I have been fortunate enough to get into a trade with a grower from Hawaii, and she is sending me a macgillivrayi for her end of the trade. I've never had one of these before, and I'd like to know what tips you would offer me for growing indoors in Georgia. Thanks!

Deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammypie(9)

I once had a macgillivrayi cutting, kept her in my west-facing garden window, where my hoyas got several minutes of direct sunlight.

In no time, this hoya began growing large, fleshy thick leaves, then one day I saw the penducles, I was so ecstatic.

I cared for her just like my other hoyas; water only when dry and water a little more frequently in the summer. With a little TLC you will be rewarded with this:

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:10PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Wow Tammy...those are Gorgeous! I have one in a pot I'm growing outside in a planter area in front of my North facing window. Its in the shade but gets Very bright indirect light...I let mine slightly dry out and water well. I fertilize it once a week "weakly". I can't wait to see blooms one day. Thanks for posting!

K&C...I think you will like this hoya...the only thing that I'm worried about is how big will this one get? I've got a few hoyas that size is becoming a real problem,lol...Space is getting very limited.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 1:56PM
mitzicos(11)

Tammypie,

I think I will visit you in your town!!! LOL

I received a cut from Joni, and didn't have any problem rooting this hoya, and know it is growing fast and here is winter, and it is very cold!

Mitzi

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 2:52PM
suetran1(7NC)

I grow mine outside in summer, under morning sun, use bloom booster in May, 1 time only.
I add 1/2 tps slow release fertilizer Nutricote, or Dynamin for flower(you can buy at HD) for whole summer, water everyday.
Bring them in greenhouse in winter, under medium light, temperature max 65F, humidity 70%, water 1 or 2 time/week.
I treated all of my hoya the same way.
I think hoya needs the change of temperature, like in the wild, in order to flower.
have a good growing.
sue

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 5:02PM
lovingmy4babies

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I love the large growers, and if I get flowers, that's just an added bonus :)

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 6:07PM
ladygreensleeves

H.macgillivrayi likes to follow the seasons with it watering cycles. Water it more in the summer during the rainy season and let it grow dry in the winter during it dormant season. In the late spring it will start it flowering, but be careful with watering during the time it is developing peduncles. Watering it in the early stages will cause it to blast them. This is a Hoya that gets large and does need space to grow in(sorry pug).

Regina

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 1:36PM
lovingmy4babies

Thanks, Regina! I'm relatively new to the Hoya world, though I've had some great beginner's luck, so I really feel like I need all the advice I can get! I really love the way people here are so generous with their tips and advice, too :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 2:40PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Regina...Very helpful growing tips. When you say be careful watering during the early stages of developing peduncles, what do you suggest? Try to keep as evenly moist as possible or let it dry out somewhat before watering. I had a feeling this one is going to be another Imperialis lol...

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 3:46PM
tammypie(9)

Pugluvr1, I kept my macgillivrayi in a west-facing garden window. The sun came around 1:30 and disappeared behind my neighbor's house (our homes are pretty close together) and she seemed to like it there.

TPie

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:45AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Tammy!

Nancy

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:27AM
ladygreensleeves

Nancy, When I see that my Mac is developing peduncles I ignore it until they are a good size. Everytime I have tryed to water it when they are in their early developement they blast. This is a hoya that likes to grow dry so don't feel like you have to water it just because it now has peduncles. Just leave it be....don't even breath on it! When the buds are about the size of a multiflora bud just before they open then carefully give it a drink, without disturbing it as much as possible.

Regina

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 12:31PM
lovingmy4babies

I didn't realize it was such a sensitive plant! I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 1:27PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Regina!! I had no idea this one was that picky during bud stage,lol...

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
H. carnosa
I got these as cuttings from my father's plants, he...
tropicbreezent
ciliata and coronaria
I had mentioned last fall that I had read somewhere...
rennfl
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Sponsored Products
Villa Double Towel Hook
Signature Hardware
Madras Dyed Rug 9' x 12' - LIGHT GREEN
$6,499.00 | Horchow
Holtkoetter | Halogen Floor Lamp No. 2508/P1
$738.00 | YLighting
Spitze Table
$998.99 | Dot & Bo
Sabrina Rug 8' x 11' - BLACK/BEIGE
$638.90 | Horchow