Hoya Hunting Again

moonwolf_gwJuly 1, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have re-written my hoya wish list. Here's the ones that have charmed me into wanting them. These aren't in order.

Obovata x carnosa

cv. Sunrise

limoniaca

diversifolia

mindorensis

(cv.?)Minibelle

verticillata

Which of these are the quickest to bloom? I read all are easy to grow and are good bloomers. My top three are Sunrise, mindorensis and obovata x carnosa.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Be vewwy vewwy quiet... I'm hunting hoyas! No, I guess it doesn't work quite as well, ha.

I also am thinking of getting limoniaca and mindorensis. Maybe Minibelle as well. I thought I heard that mindorensis grows well, but is a little slow to flower? The rest I'm not sure about. Good luck with your hunt!

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 8:23PM
moonwolf_gw

"Be vewwy vewwy quiet... I'm hunting hoyas!" LOL I loved watching Looney Tunes!

Good luck with your hunt too, Quinn!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:25AM
ladygreensleeves

A hoya hunting we will go....A hoya hunting we will go...high ho a dairy-o, a hoya hunting we will go......

Diversifolia is a thick stemed hard to train, easy to break,not so easy to bloom hoya. Which is why I probably have four of them. Three are rather large and only one has bloomed so far. If your still set on owning this one let me know.

A good hoya to add to your list that blooms easily and constantly would be H.campforifolia. Once it starts blooming it doesn't know when to stop!

Regina

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:15PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Regina,

I read up about camphorifolia and found out that it has a scent reminicent of sweaty socks! However, the scent is very faint, so I may have to take it into consideration. The flowers are pretty though!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 11:22AM
wrynsmom(5)

I've been having trouble getting my little camphorifolia to root . . . the leaves just keep trying to curl up and die! Is there a trick to this hoya?

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 11:37AM
ladygreensleeves

I've not had any problems rooting campforifolia. Did you use a good rooting hormone? I've rooted it in both the chunky mix and moss....likes to be a little on the dryer side during rooting tho, and mist it daily lightly until rooted. Grows very similiar to fitchii, if you can root that one you can root campforifolia.....

As for the scent...I don't detect one....but then I don't stick my nose in it either and both of my big plants are just covered with umbels......sooo if it smells like sweaty socks I don't smell it. This plant is one that is also known for it's foliage rather than it's scent.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
In search of Shooting Star
Hi Everyone - I am just getting into Hoyas and I would...
Houndhome
Suffering Hindu Rope
I have a little hoya (about 8" long) that's been...
ccj962
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Sponsored Products
Kelvin LED Presence Detection Table Lamp
Lightology
Posing Panda Mug & Bowl
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Acclaim 72 in. Double Vanity in White with Marble
Home Depot
Fantastic Feathers Throw
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Winston Coronado Swivel Tilt patio dining Chair Patio Furniture
$519.00 | Hayneedle