Rooting Hoya kerrii ?

flower.baby(southern oregon)July 25, 2013

Hello,
My kerrii has an old thick vine with no leaves or peduncles. It looks like it used to have leaves that someone cut off. There is no sign of new growth at all so I want to cut it off and root it to see of that will encourage new growth on it.
It's about 2 feet long, and it's a thick old vine.

My plan was to cut it in 2 or 3 places, dip the ends in rooting hormone, and root it in damp sand.
Is that the correct way, or it's their a better way to root kerrii?
I've rooted other hiyas, but not Kerrii and it looks hard to root becauseof the thick vines.
Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

Are you saying that you want to root a cutting that has no leaves? I wouldn't do that. I'd try to get it to put out some leaves first. Maybe it needs a re-pot?
ONLY as a last ditch effort(if you are going to toss it anyway) would I try and root a leafless cutting.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 1:55PM
teisa(6)

Hoyas are generally rooted in good draining soil & perilite mixture. I've never heard of sand.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 10:12PM
denise_gw

FB,

Leafless cuttings don't typically root, but that doesn't stop me from trying sometimes. I'd do it in pure perlite, though, or hydroton. Either way, keep some water in your saucer to keep it moist until it roots. It could work, but if it doesn't, you've done nothing more than waste a bit of rooting space. And cutting off that long leafless vine will encourage new growth, so it'll be good for the mother plant.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
The secret to successfully growing flagellata?
Okay, so for the past couple of weeks, it has been...
aurorawa
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™