Hoya Chelsea

abigail1280(8)July 26, 2010

I purchased a hoya chelsea about 2 months ago at Lowes. It's really started to grow here lately, but some of the newer leaves are not as firm as the older leaves. I only water it when it feels dry. Am I not watering it enough? Will these leaves firm up? It's not lost any leaves, but it's become so beautiful that I would really hate to lose it, and I wanna do anything I can for it.

This was it about a month ago:

And this is it now:

These are 2 of the newer leaves that are not as crisp:

The top leaf is another one that is not crisp:

Then I have these two leaves that look nothing like the other leaves and are not as crisp either:

And this is the pot that it's in. It came in this pot, and yes it does have drainage holes. I've not repotted it.

I do have plans to put it in a hanging basket and move it outside on to my screened in porch. I don't have any other shady places in my yard for it. It stays in the 80s and 90s here and the humidity is 55%-65% even at night. Right now it's sitting by a west facing window where the blinds are either closed or tilted open.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Most Hoyas have tender leaves as they develop but they will harden as they mature. Other species have soft pliable leaves even at maturity. Your Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea' looks very healthy and it's doing everything a growing Hoya should, noting to worry about at all.

Mike

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:58PM
Jan Sword

New leaves are usually soft, it gets harden as it age.
LOoks like a plain carnosa is in that pot with chealsea, I would take it out put in another pot if it was mine.
Nice plant BTW.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:58PM
denise_gw

I think those two leaves you say look different are a set that have reverted back to standard carnosa leaves. I've had this happen with other carnosa cultivars. I had a normal leaf come on my 'Mathilde'. After leaves filled in around that spot, I removed it.

Looks happy to me, too.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 5:26PM
wrynsmom(5)

That is a beautiful 'Chelsea'. Mine doesn't look nearly that good, anymore. :(

Keep up the good work!

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™