Sun Power?

bchosta 8b west coast canadaApril 7, 2014

I purchased this plant last summer from a local garden nursery knowing that it had been mislabelled. It is definitely not Satisfaction! Judging by the wave of the leaf, I presumed it to be Sun Power. If anyone can confirm this identification, I would appreciate it.
BC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnywood 5aChazyNY

BC ,I have three Sun Power. Yours is very close . You can decide.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 11:14PM
bchosta 8b west coast canada

Thanks Sunnywood,
I agree that mine appears to be very similar to your plants. I haven't seen a fully mature plant myself (other than some wonderful specimens that appear online), but I understand from previous postings that this isn't the quickest multiplier. I can understand why you have more than one however.
BC

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 12:14AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hhmmmmm ...

satisfaction is a sport of piedmont gold ...

if a yellow pops out of TC... then it is PG ...

so then we are left in speculating if your nursery kept it properly labeled as S ... then its PG ...

but if your nursery just threw them around.. mixing them all up .... maybe sunpower ...

hard to tell on these pix ... time of year and camera light vary .. the first looks like it has more defined waviness .. and different potential leaf thickness and structure ... and a glaucous coating ...

i have no clue at this time.. who might be right.. nor if it may be other named plants ...

this is why we have favored sellers ... and rely on them .. IF names are important ... and to a lot of peeps.. they arent

on the other hand.. you have a very nice hosta... but for sure.. not S

ken

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:59AM

Ken,
I guess that I fall into the category of gardeners to whom names, ultimately, don't really matter. When I bought the plant I did so based on the colour and confirmation, therefore it didn't concern me that the label was wrong. Another time I bought a plant labelled as Aristocrat that had several fine fat pips - the problem was it turned out to be Francis Williams (I think), so it was duly returned!
I still think that this one is Sun Power - but if it isn't, I'll await what happens next and hope that it continues to build on the promise already shown!
Thanks for your imput.
BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 10:11

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 10:05AM
esox48(4/MN)

Sun Power grows quite well, actually. This one is larger than Journey's End on the left. Blue Angel on the right and Regal Splendor behind it.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:26PM
esox48(4/MN)

Ooops, just noticed that Sun Power photo is not from last year. Here's a closeup from last year.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:39PM
don_in_colorado

It's OK, esox. It was huge in 2012, even more so in 2013. What does this year bring? Please show us when they come up. Beautiful.

Don B.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 6:10PM

Esox,
Your plant certainly captures my attention! It's a fine figure of a ...... hosta!
BC

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Dogs in the Hosta Beds
My senior Gsd\aussie mix liked to help in the gardens...
smorz
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™