Cutworms....

mosswitchApril 7, 2013

Cleaning up a bit in the garden today and found a couple of cutworms in a hosta bed, already. I havent seen many slugs tho.

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus z6a SW MI

I've been digging up my mom's yard and finding cutworms and grubs all over the dang place. Especially grubs. In Ohio it was rare to find grubs in the soil at my ex's house, but up here in my mom's yard they are everywhere. I had cutworms down there, too, possibly more than up here. Not looking forward to dealing with the Japanese beetles that are a nuisance up here, but were rare down in Ohio. Slugs weren't a problem down there and hopefully they aren't up here.

Karen

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:13PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

I didn't want to hear that, especially after last year.

bk

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:07AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I found two cutworms in a pot but not a hosta pot. I saw the leaves chewed up, felt around on the soil, and be-whillakers, there was a couple of brown dirt-colored cutworms.

I did not squash them, I just took them to the bird feeder for hors d'oeuvres......the wild birds raise babies on protein.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:15PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Good grief, yes...I was turning a few beds and found dozens of them hibernating, just waiting to spring to life and gobble anything they find. Grr. I handed my intrepid three-year-old a trowel and a bowl and set her to hunting down the "mean worms" while I trimmed down ornamental grasses. She kept at it for hours! She left the bowl out for the birds. We have some fat robins around here, that's for sure!

We are new to this house, and I've never dealt with cutworms en masse before. What control measures (aside from child labor) are effective??

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:10PM
mosswitch

I wasn"t going to clean out the beds too much this spring, just let the leaves lay, as mulch in anticipation of a dry summer. But I think now I will, at least right around the hostas. Maybe the flock of robins that inhabits my woods will help take care of those nasty cutworms. Still want to try cedar mulch around them also. If cedar repels clothes moths, stands to reason it would repel other moths and caterpillars too.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 8:55AM
hostanista

This might be useful - hopefully you eat eggs and drink coffee!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:19AM
gogirlterri(5 IL)

I'm always looking for 'natural' solutions and have noticed that cutworms LOVE Canna. Where I have planted them near hostas they leave the hostas alone. The only problem is that the Canna usually come up after hostas have emerged.
Theresa

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™