tinael01(10A)October 25, 2011

what am i?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

a snake? :)

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 6:29PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Tinae, he's probably a banded water snake. I've had bunches of them in and around my pond, and they all look a little different, but are very shy and harmless. Looking for toads or lizards no doubt. Pretty.

Anna

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 6:52PM
tinael01(10A)

Funny! :) yes okay, he's a snake. I googled the banded water snake and it lead me to the site below. It is a close likeness. I also found the juvenile racer to be a close likeness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snake IDs

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 7:27PM
billbrandi(9)

definitely harmless. It is hard to tell unless you turn him over but if the bands do not go all the way around (if his underside is brown or grey or black) then some form of watersnake.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 7:42PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I found this information on Wikihow.com:

Non-venomous snakes have a spoon-shaped rounded head and venomous snakes will have a more triangular head. This is because of the venom glands (this is less noticeable on the coral snake).

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:10PM
grega(9/FL)

I say a juvenile black racer.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:37PM
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

I say a baby red rat, I have tons of them.
Lori

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 9:44AM
klflorida

Ewwww

I don't have a clue but I'm glad it's not in my yard!

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 11:56AM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

It IS a juvenile black racer, that's what they look like when small....

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 4:24PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Wow! I never would have thought a baby black racer looked like that! We had a small diamond back out front this year. Actually saw the rattles. First time I ever saw a live one other than a zoo. Scared the crap out of me. Only saw it the one time. I don't kill snakes anyway. I just go the other way quickly.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:00PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

I'm not really into posting much now but popping in occasionally is therapeutic, here's a blast from the past. Remember to CLIP the postings you want to save regularly; the historical archives are PURGED more frequently than yearly....

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:13PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Is it too late to change my vote? I think grega and Tom are right and that this critter is a juvenile black racer. Nice link Tom.

Anna

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 6:42AM
dirtygardener73(9a)

Zackey, When I was 6, I was walking in the woods with my grandmother gathering wild herbs and we heard a rattler rattling. She stopped me, told me to stand very still for a minute so he would know we weren't coming closer, then to back up very slowly. When we got far enough away, it stopped rattling. Just thought you'd like to know what to do just in case that rattler comes back. Of course, if you step on him, all bets are off. ;)

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 9:41AM
julieyankfan(z9FL Pasco Cty.)

I went to the Rattlesnake Festival in San Antonio, Pasco Cty. a few weeks ago and went in and saw the show the rattlesnake guy put on. I must say he changed my whole attitude about snakes. Very informative. He says snakes are our friends. Each snake eats a different thing and without them, we'd be overrun by other things. I also found out the the pygmy rattler in my yard was actually a hognose snake. He had all the good ones and the bad ones and held them side by side so you could see the difference.
Now I'm not saying that I like snakes, but I understand them now and will just let them be. Just hope I don't get a rattler in the garden. I had one in the front once, but he tried to cross the road and got run over.
Julie

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 8:29AM
judyk_2008(9 DeLeon Sprs)

It's a red rat snake. Also called a pine snake. It will get to be 5 or 6 feet. My son raised one and had it for years. They look very similar to a pygmy rattler. You have to check the shape of the head. The rattler has a diamond head and only gets a couple feet long. Baby water bandits look like mocosins. Again, you have to check the shape of the head. I grew up in the wilds of Florida and seen many a snake and having dogs get bitten by them. Our pit got bit so many times by rattlers, he became immune to them.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:40AM
judyk_2008(9 DeLeon Sprs)

I'm wrong. It is a baby black racer. The red isn't big enough for a rat snake.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™