bottom watering EA mix

maidinmontanaJuly 17, 2010

Hi everyone. . . I haven't been real active here lately, (lots of major projects going on outside). And with that comes the problem finding time to tend to my hoyas like I should.

I let a few of my EA plants get a little too dry. As you all probably know, when they get too dry it's hard to get them wet again. As a desperate measure, I decided to water them the way I water my african violets, from the bottom.

I measured the water so I knew how much the plants soaked up. Every so often I'd dump the water back in the measuring cup to see how much, if any,they had taken up. It took a few hours, but when the tops of the pots were spongy to the touch I knew they had enough.

Still a little sceptical, I lifted one of the plants out of the pot to make sure the entire rootball was good a saturated, IT WAS.

Before, I never really knew if the rootball was getting any water or if it was just running thru the pot.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone, if you're like me and skidish with the EA plants, this works very well.

Maid~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrynsmom(5)

Thanks, Maid. Were they the 8inch? And could you tell me how much water they took? I'm just curious. I've got a couple of their big pots I've accidentally let get a bit dryer than they should.

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 6:22PM
maidinmontana

Carolyn,

They were the 8 inch pots, yes. I did each plant seperate using 4 cups of water per plant. They actually soaked up the 4 cups in no time, so I added another 4 cups per plant. It took a little over 3 cups the second time.

Like I said, it makes me feel better knowing they got a good drink, and it might have been the first time since I've had them. . . :(

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 9:43AM
wrynsmom(5)

Thanks, Maid! And I'm glad they took in a good drink for you. :)

Hope your weekend it going well!

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 11:34AM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Maid!

Good to see you back! Hmm, now that your hoyas have been neglected a little bit, maybe they'll bloom! I'm going to have to keep watch on my EA plants (KP, Chelsea and lacunosa). They do dry out faster than my other plants/cuttings, which I have in my own soil. Lacunosa is very rootbound and I'm afraid to repot it (I read some people repotted their EA lacunosas and they died shortly after).

It's been rainy here. When it hasn't been, it's blistering hot out (It's in the 90's now). Mother Nature is very tempermental this summer!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
Hoya?
Anyone know the name of this Hoya...about 3cm flower?...
marleneann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™