Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem

erlichada(z6 NY)June 19, 2007

I have a 20 year old Contorta (Harry Lauder Walking Stick) Shrub that appears to be dying very slowly. Many of the branches are drying up and breaking off; leaves are not coming out as full as it used to, there might be a slight yellow powdery substance on the underside of the leaves and the main trunk seems to have rot at the top of the trunk where it branches out.

I just gave it a thorough pruning but any additional advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corapegia(z5 NY)

I've found two cases of "Eastern filbert blight," one in Woodstock and the other south of High Falls. The initial
symptoms sound similar to yours. Look for black scaly spots along the trunk. If your plant has the blight, it's probably best to remove and send to the dump. The cures offered seem to be most useful to filbert orchardists. More info available, just search for eastern filbert (or hazelnut) blight. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: image of filbert blight

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 8:47AM
jackbe1(z6 CT)

Both of my Harry Lauder's walking stick shrubs died from Eastern Filbert Blight. I would love to try again but don't know if there is any preventing this disease?

Now everytime I see one of these contorted filberts, I look for the stomata and invariably, I see it.

Anyone else in Connecticut or New York who have been successful in spraying to protect their plants, would you reply with what fungicide you used that has worked? Also, how often have you sprayed and what season have you sprayed.

I would also like to hear from others who have tried to spray and failed so I can determine if I would just be wasting my time trying to prevent this disease.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 10:08PM
jackbe1(z6 CT)

I bought another and planted in a southern exposure with good air circulation and haven't had a problem with the disease. Location is the key factor because I've had this eastern filbert blight twice in the same yard 75 yards away.

Bookmark   February 1, 2015 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
Heritage Raspberries still not ready yet Sept 9th
Hi...anyone else growing Heritage Raspberries in the...
Greenhorn2
Best Roses for our area or forget it?
Has anyone had good luck with a particular variety...
tristate
Can Garlic Kill Raspberry Crown/Cane Borers
Anyone have experience with killing Raspberry Crown/Cane...
Greenhorn2
What's your experience with tick bites this season?
I have been bitten about 5 times this season. I'm in...
susanzone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™