Sharmon?

paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)April 24, 2014

I saw this hosta for sale and I haven't heard of it before. It looks nice in the Hosta Library but not exceptional.

Advice from the gurus?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary4b(4b WI)

I have one that I can send to you! I don't know, it just is sort of THERE. I think there are nicer choices, for sure. If memory serves, she looks nice in the spring but gets very worn out looking early in the summer compared to others. (Mine is even in a choice location...filtered morning sun and no afternoon sun. I really should move Sharmon and put something that could benefit from that perfect spot.) I'd spend my $ on something else...there are not many hostas in my garden that I would dismiss like this. Maybe someone else can disagree?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:54PM
almosthooked

I bought Sharman and it is quite nice in the spring. It is okay and green as the summer progresses. If you have lots of room, the price is great and you like the green later, go for it. This is also a 2 year plant

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:52AM
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)

It looks nice in your photo - I am assuming that it is a spring photo?

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:59AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

it has other names...

the center goes all green pretty fast ... but it is glorious for a week or so ...

the library link to myhosta says its a fortunei ...

compare with Fortunei Albopicta

ken

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:37AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Yeah,I have one,and it's so-so,but it comes up every year. Like the others say,it is variegated for a short time,then turns green for the rest of the year. Phil

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 11:02AM

Thanks everyone, but due to my space limitations, I think I will take a pass on this one, it seems like it is 'meh'.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 11:05AM
hippieindenial

Hi Paula,
Lamrock's has some big 'Sharmon' in their display beds that are pretty stellar. I would take a peek there this spring/summer if you can :)
Vanessa

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:11PM
mary4b(4b WI)

I think you're making a good call if space is limited...the picture is about as nice as it looks in late spring/early summer, after that it's all down hill. Would be interesting to see the stellar one that Vanessa is speaking of.
Looks like you're doing a lot of picture looking to "shop", Paula...I was doing that a few weeks ago...it's so much fun!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:33PM

Mary, it is a bit of a catch 22 because I love looking at any pics that I can find but then, completely inadvertently of course, I happen to find hostas that I 'must have'. :)

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Not sure this has been posted in awhile Papou's Gardens
He was gone before I joined the site, but he had some...
leafwatcher
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
hostanista
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™