Hoya mathilde and the butterfly

suetran1(7NC)July 11, 2011

Hoya mathilde (carnosa X serpens)This plant is so easy to grow, it doesn't take a lot of places.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kidsandcats(7)

I have this one and I just love it! I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. It really has a lot of personality for such a small-leafed plant :) You take such great pics!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 3:46PM
ima_digger

Beautiful pictures, Sue. Butterfly looks very content feeding the nectar.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 7:58PM
moonwolf_gw

I just loooove butterflies! Hopefully I'll get to see them when my carnosa blooms! Hmm, maybe I'll need to add this one to my list lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:42PM
golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)

I also LOVE butterflies - they are so beautiful and to get a nice shot with the flower and the butterfly! He looks like he was there awhile .... Outstanding photo Sue!!! Your Mathilde is GORGEOUS too!!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:19PM
suetran1(7NC)

Thanks you you all.
Golden, you are an excellent observer. Yes, he is just staying there for me to take as many pictures as I want.
sue

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 10:52PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

The only time I see butterflies, is in pictures. So pretty. I wish my Mathilde was a good grower. I've had mine for a while now (maybe going on two years?) and it is only now starting to grow for real. The rest of the time, it's been like having a fake plant. It is such a cute plant though. Great pictures!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:04PM
mdahms1979

Beautiful photo Sue, your photos are always an absolute pleasure to see.
I saw a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly this past weekend in the butterfly garden that I helped my sister plant. These butterflys are really only found in a small portion of Canada that just happens to include the area that I live in so seeing one is kinda special.

Mike

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 2:16PM

They are also found in the area that I live in B.C. And I think they are very special also.... along with the hummingbirds that come to visit!!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:11PM
cpawl(8)

My area also has them and they love my yard.I always have a couple hanging around most of the day.Maybe its because I grow milkweed in my yard.

Sue, again unreal photos. Your ability to photograph your hoyas and wild life is amazing.

Cindy

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:51PM
tammypie(9)

Beautiful!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 1:29AM
denise_gw

That's a great shot of the butterfly's body! I'm surprised he was so ok with you taking the pics. The nectar must be super-yummy and worth the risk! Did you use your zoom from back a ways, or did he actually let you get that close? It's a great pic of your 'Mathilde', too. Mine has gone nuts this year, growing like mad and blooming up a storm. I really like it!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:44AM

Actually I had one of those butterflies visit my hanging baskets in my front yard and this butterfly was sooo tame - I walked right up to him and stroked his back while he enjoyed my flowers - I really need to sit out there one day and get a few shots of them cause they are my favorite... and when taken with flowers it makes the photo AWESOME!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:58AM
greedygh0st

I agree that butterflies are not that skittish as insects go. It's funny, isn't it? I guess it's because their locomotive skills aren't that awesome so their survival strategy has to be to stick tight and blend in or look like they have big eyes.

Sue, I just love your photos. I wish every day a Sue original would pop up in my email. ^_~ So much better than the pictures at that cheesy nature photography store I always have to walk past.

I know Emilio Begine's story of Mathilde's origin states that its birth was a happy coincidence, but I still think it's a genius invention. It's like the cupcake of Hoyas.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 12:05PM
suetran1(7NC)

This butterfly is so concentrate to enjoy the nectar. I was standing within 3' to take the picture, he didn't move for a while. I use to see them early in the morning, even hummingbird.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™