First ripe tomato

oldroser(z5)July 24, 2006

is Stupice. Planted 5/20 and picked this morning, Nine days later than last year due to cloudy, wet weather. But it sure was worth the wait!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

Wow, I have tons of green ones, but no red. Congratulations and enjoy. I'm actually ahead of all my previous years though. I'm not a good tomato grower. By the way I'm just getting the last of the sugar snap peas. They really lasted.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 6:21PM
oldroser(z5)

Candy. I can't recommend Stupice too highly. It's about the size of a golf ball, red, great flavor and very, very early. And it keeps showering you with tomatoes until frost. Northern Dutchess Botanical Gardens had plants this spring.
My sugar snaps ended July 1st and I just planted cukes in their place. String beans have survived rabbit and are blooming. Garlic and elephant garlic is harvested.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 5:03PM
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

That sounds great. I can't find my stakes right now. Some of my plants I actually started from seed this year and I just harvested my first ones. Cherry and plumb. The beefsteak, or whatever they are, aren't red yet. My cherries (although they may actually be grape) were delicious! I love them and eat them like candy until they quit coming. I actually did a much better job this year than last but I could still get more serious I think.

I'll look out for Stupice for next year's trial.

Candis

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Can Garlic Kill Raspberry Crown/Cane Borers
Anyone have experience with killing Raspberry Crown/Cane...
Greenhorn2
Hudson Valley Home and garden tours?
I'm mostly on the New England board but decided to...
javaandjazz
Know of any great summer sales?
Do you know when any good nurseries are starting to...
kitasei
Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem
I have a 20 year old Contorta (Harry Lauder Walking...
erlichada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™