Help w/ plants for Manhattan please

lthree(So. California)September 5, 2004

Hi,

I;m in So. Cal but want to ship an interesting plant to a friend in Manhattan. Can anyone name some specific plants that will survive Manhattan conditions. I really would like it to be unique, or special. Thank you so much!

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

What is the light levels in your friends home? Low light? Medium? A low to medium light level plant would be fine if they don't get much sunlight due to buildings in the way. Chinese evergreen, ZZ plant,deffenbachia, pothos, spider plant. IF they get plenty of sun then your choices increase.

Tom

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 9:45AM
oldroser(z5)

If you are talking indoor plants, New Yorkers are in to all kinds of things, including orchids. And some of them have terraces where they grow things and even backyards. Most of these are shady but I've seen some gorgeous pictures of shade gardens in NYC. It's zone 7 so they can grow some things I can't but hostas (no deer down there), astilbe, martagon lilies, heuchera, kirengeshoma, tricytris.. lots of possibilities.

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 5:42PM
Mag_in_NY(z6 NYC burb)

My mother has overwintered perennials such as boltonia, lavander and rosemary on her balcony in pots. The hostas survived too, but they don't enjoy the drying winds of balcony life.

Bookmark   September 16, 2004 at 2:58PM
lthree(So. California)

Thank you to all of you who responded. I really appreciate you taking the time! Best regards!

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Will my Gold Cone Deodar Cedar turn Gold?
Hey guys, I live on Long Island, I purchased a Gold...
StuartLawrence
Help with new lawn
Have a new lawn that was put in with the new build...
Gurvy
Know of any great summer sales?
Do you know when any good nurseries are starting to...
kitasei
Hudson Valley Home and garden tours?
I'm mostly on the New England board but decided to...
javaandjazz
Where can I buy straw?
Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry),...
KGates
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™