Canning ?- lids?

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)September 29, 2012

Just got back from the place my DH does pumpkin carving. The neighbors sell home made pickles there, and have been canning for 40 years or more!

The last couple of years she has been getting tops that bulge on the top. She insists that they are still sealed, but, of course won't sell the ones with a bulging cap.

Are these defective tops? Should she contact the manufacturer, or does this just happen from time to time?

Your thoughts??? Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I wouldn't touch them.

Not sure who the "manufacturer" might be other than Ball or Kerr. That said, I've never had a bulging top and I make quite a few pickles.

Pickles are generally pretty safe provided they were processed properly and an approved recipe used. But, the bulging tops to me say they may have issues. Better safe than sorry.

JMO,
Deanna

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 9:14PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I don't know how she's been processing pickles for the past 40 years, but cucumbers are loaded with mold spores and bacteria, so it may be that her luck just ran out.

A bulging lid is a classic sign of spoilage. While a lid may occasionally crinkle if the ring is applied too tightly, bulging is a powerful indication the product has gone bad. It's not a manufacturer issue.

Whatever's working in the jar will continue until the pressure reaches a point where the seal does break, so if the seal is still good, it just means it's early days yet.

Carol

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 9:34PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

It might have been crinkled as you said, but I'll print this out for her. Thank you. Nancy

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™