lavender overwintering options

catmintSeptember 23, 2006

My friend, Leslie, bought two lavender plants for for each of us. We're weighing options for overwintering them in our crazy Hudson Valley climate. At present they're in pots.

I have an idea to wrap my pot in bubble wrap and put in under my deck. Or plant it in the ground. Or move it into my greenhouse. Leslie could do the same thing as me or experiment with a different approach.

What do you think is the best way to go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

What kind of lavender? I have munstead, provence and grosso in the ground and they come back each year. I have a French lavender in a pot that comes in the house and lives on a window ledge (south facing) over the winter.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 8:37PM
catmint

i lost the tag but Leslie tells me it's grosso. i've heard of english and french lavender but not grosso. the store told her it's very hardy for a lavender.
does yours die back to the roots?

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 12:38PM
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

Yes, they all die back to the roots.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 5:42PM
alicynseden

Lavenders are generally best planted in the Spring in our zone. It is too late to plant them now, they do not have enough time to establish before a hard frost hits and will heave right out of the ground and die. I would sugguest you bring the plant in to a sunny windowsill and wait for Spring. In the Spring, after the last frost, plant in a sunny spot with excellent drainage and soil that has not been amended. You will have a happy lavender that will grow into quite a bush and produce lots of fragrant wands for you. Trim the lavender to the shape you desire right after blooming. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 7, 2006 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Help with new lawn
Have a new lawn that was put in with the new build...
Gurvy
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
Double Loop Ornamental Fencing
Has anyone seen this for sale locally? I am planning...
blackcat333
Dino Kale -- light in color. Ideas?
I put some of my dino kale from seed (1 month old,...
arobaina
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™