Sweet Peas

woodwind(z5NY)September 4, 2006

I planted some sweet pea seeds in May. The plant is about one foot tall, no blossoms of course. Is there any way to winter protect so that it will grow again next spring? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldroser(z5)

Shouldn't think it likely. Sweet peas are annuals and should have bloomed in mid-summer. Did you perhaps plant the perennial pea not the sweet pea? If it's the perennial, it wil survive fine.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 7:24PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

My sweet peas were horrible this year. They didn't flower till August and are dead now from those 100 degree weeks. I think the long, wet, cloudy early summer prolonged the time till bloom. I have no luck with those flowers. Either the deer eat them, the rodents tunnel through the roots, or they rot. I keep trying because if only a few plants make it, it's worth that smell. I start close to 20 of those seedlings every year. This year about 4 flowered.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 11:24PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

I picked up some nursery starts last year and had tons of flowers by midsummer, despite the heat. If you'd rather sow seeds, maybe start them indoors and plant them out after frost.

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
Bulk lime and AG supply
I'm new to Ulster County and looking for an AG supplier...
upstatebhh
Allegheny spurge, periwinkle and other
I'm looking for an evergreen groundcover that won't...
kitasei
Can Garlic Kill Raspberry Crown/Cane Borers
Anyone have experience with killing Raspberry Crown/Cane...
Greenhorn2
What's your experience with tick bites this season?
I have been bitten about 5 times this season. I'm in...
susanzone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™